fermentation questions re: Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrcomito

Reaction score
Hello,
I brewed an Irish Stout kit from True Brew two Sats. ago. I followed the instructions and heeded the advice received here. The yeast was a dry packet that I bloomed according to the packet's directions. I pitched at 66F and fermented in a bucket for about 5 days. The airlock stopped after about 48 hours so I let it set for another day or so before I transfered it to 5 gal glass carboy. It has been in my chiller for about a week @60F. I am going to take a gravity reading soon. What should I be looking for?

The kit instructions should give you a FG (Final Gravity) target for this assuming you used the correct amount of water and hit the OG reading close to on target. 60F is pretty cool for secondary fermentation of an ale. It might take 2-3 weeks in secondary to truly finish fermentation at 60F.

I'm going to take a reading and I'll post my findings. Thanks for the advice.

So we are at 1.020, do I up the temp and let it ride, or do I pitch again? Didn't taste bad, just a little sour at the end. Color looks good and it is pretty much settled.

1.020 is not unusually high for an extract kit. If it stays at 1.020 for 3 days straight, it is done. NO need to repitch or anything like that. check again in 2 days. If it is still at 1.020, bottle and enjoy!

WOW! That stout turned out excellent. Thanks to all for the great advice.

Back