Far from a honey koelsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTpilot

Reaction score
My second batch was my first attempt at breaking out of the kits and peicing together my own recipe. I wanted to do a light beer, but with honey to add alcohol and a slight sweetness.

It's been in bottles 2 1/2 weeks now and it is nothing close to what I was aiming for. I'm pretty sure it was just my lack of attention and motivation during the fermentation. I may try it again and see if I get better results.

The recipe:
6.6 light lme
8 oz. mild ale malt
1.5 oz hallertauer @ 60
.5 @ 10
.5# honey @ 15
.5# honey at flame out

about a cup of active yeast slurry from the brew pub i work at (wyeast 1318 london ale)

OG 1.061
FG 1.019 (only 68.8% attenuated)

It was a hot summer. So I left the plastic fermentor in a water bath which kept the temp down 68-72ish. I procrastinated way too long (about 7 weeks) to move it to secondary. I still did, but just to try to separate it from the yeast. It sat in 2nd for 1 week before I bottled. It came out more like the belgian honey down at the brewpub. Very dry, very yeasty, and i think it may be a bit oxygenated as well (from all that time in plastic?). The honey flavor is present but very slight

It is very drinkable, but definitely not a session beer.

Just looking for some feedback. If I try it again, should I tweak the recipe to get it where I want it? or did the funky fermentaion do more to steer it in the wrong direction?

7 weeks sitting on yeast and trub in a plastic bucket is bound to pick up some off flavors and oxidation...

Also, not sure about London Ale yeast for a Kolsch. I've never brewed a Kolsch, but I think the yeast may be an important key to that puzzle...

Ah well, there is always next time!

Authentic Kolsch is brewed with 90-100% pilsener malt and noble hopes, the ingredients are very simple, not that different from a pils. The most important ingredient is the yeast, you have to use Kolsch yeast to make a Kolsch style beer. The beer you made looks more like a honey mild. If the beer is good, that's all that matters!

Back