Getting a keg ready to drink end of Sept.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have all the kegging gear but SWMBO blocked the kegerator idea for now. Id like to have a corny on ice for a party Im having end of Sept. So I was wondering if I could prime the keg beforehand and then just hook it up to gas the day before the event. I figure half the priming sugar as I would use if I bottled. Anything else I should be thinking of?

Cheers,
Bill

If you want clear beer, don't prime it. Just hook up at the calculated pressure, based on beer temp and volumes of CO2 you want.

You have plenty of time. I'd just leave it for a month at that pressure, assuming you're going to be around the 70 F range.

or prime with the sugar, but a day in advance, pour a few glasses off the keg so you can get rid of the sediment created by the priming sugar.

then when you transport, it shouldn't get cloudy, or at least will be not very cloudy.

I'm not sure you need to cut the sugar to 50%, but I do believe you're correct that you won't need the normal amount as if you were bottling, due to the way head space works out inside a keg vs. bottles.

Both are acceptable options, but I'm inclined to use the set and forget carb method. Be sure to follow the correct pressure at the correct temp.

You really need to become familiar with the kegging process and leak checking, etc. This method will require you to do this. You can sample along the way and get experience purging and resetting to a lower pressure to serve and then bumping pressure back up.

Just curious. What is SWMBO's objection. We have good strategies for that as well.

There's always the, "You need a new refrigerator." gambit.

If you force carbonate, you'll either have to carbonate at a higher pressure, then chill OR chill it down a few days ahead of serving. Otherwise, it will pour be flat once chilled for serving.

If I'm doing a kit, I use the priming sugar. From scratch, I force. I haven't noticed any major difference in trub. I suspect because the yeast don't have any O2, they don't grow much.

olllllo said:
Just curious. What is SWMBO's objection. We have good strategies for that as well.

She claims space ie not enough of it. Money is a bit tight right now as well and we have baby #2 coming in Nov. so I wont be pushing for it anytime soon. I really dont want to be the victim of hormonal rage :eek:

In the meantime, Id like to have a keg on tap for a party I am throwing late Sept. So if I force carb at say 70 degrees...and I do it by just hooking it up and leaving it at serving pressure...approx. how long before it carbs up? Then what? Chill the night before or the day of? And I suppose then I will be adjusting pressure again?

Cheers,
Bill

Okay...one more question if anybody can help me out with the answer :D

So lets say I decide to force carbonate at room temp (basement is around 68-70). Im looking at around 30 psi. How long will it take to carb at the temp and pressure? I can do a month if necessary but thats getting pretty close. Then, after it does carb, what next? Release pressure, bring back up to serving psi, and then chill overnight before the party?

Cheers,
Bill

Just disconnect the gas, put the keg on ice the night before and re-connect the gas at the lower setting just before serving. The CO2 will absorb into the beer as the keg cools. I would vent the keg before hooking it up if you don't have a check valve. May want to just in case if you do.

billpa said:
Okay...one more question if anybody can help me out with the answer :D

So lets say I decide to force carbonate at room temp (basement is around 68-70). Im looking at around 30 psi. How long will it take to carb at the temp and pressure? I can do a month if necessary but thats getting pretty close. Then, after it does carb, what next? Release pressure, bring back up to serving psi, and then chill overnight before the party?

Cheers,
Bill
Honestly, life will be simpler for you if you prime (1/2 cup for a five gallon batch) the keg and set it aside for three weeks.

I do 10-gallon bathces and since my chest only holds five cornies, I will charge one corny cold and then prime the other and set it back in the corner of the brewshop for a month until I'm ready. I save gas and once the beer is chilled for a week or 10 days, the beer falls pretty darn clear.

Granted, there is a slight taste difference (yeasty) in the primed keg, but no different profile than a beer that has been primed and bottled.

I'd say, prime it, set it aside at 70-72 degrees for three weeks then chill it for a week (off the gas). Release the valve then hook up at 9-10 PSI and serve.

BierMuncher said:
Honestly, life will be simpler for you if you prime (1/2 cup for a five gallon batch) the keg and set it aside for three weeks.

I do 10-gallon bathces and since my chest only holds five cornies, I will charge one corny cold and then prime the other and set it back in the corner of the brewshop for a month until I'm ready. I save gas and once the beer is chilled for a week or 10 days, the beer falls pretty darn clear.

Granted, there is a slight taste difference (yeasty) in the primed keg, but no different profile than a beer that has been primed and bottled.

I'd say, prime it, set it aside at 70-72 degrees for three weeks then chill it for a week (off the gas). Release the valve then hook up at 9-10 PSI and serve.

Yea thats what I thought initially. So chilling for a week is merely to let it clear? And I suppose I should use a bit of co2 to seat the lid after I have primed the keg?

Cheers,
Bill

Latest posts

Back