Clear bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFallopian

Reaction score
A work colleague has given me some clear bottles. I know these can cause 'skunk' beer, but would they be ok to use if I were to keep them in the dark right up until drinking time? They may prove to be useful as an emergeny bottle if I run out of brown ones.

I've not run across clear bottles that weren't twist-off. Are these twist-off as well? If so, don't bother with them. If not, then yes, they could be used if kept away from UV light (sunlight and fluorescent lights).

I've not run across clear bottles that weren't twist-off. Are these twist-off as well? If so, don't bother with them. If not, then yes, they could be used if kept away from UV light (sunlight and fluorescent lights).

No, they're just normal crown capped bottles - I'll save them for emergencies!

Never drank Corona

I have a couple cases of clear bottles I keep handy, they are great for skeeter pee, and such.

No problem just keep them in the dark.

I use them as tracer rounds... Fill one or two clears with a batch you'll easily be able to observe clarity and the compaction of yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

I threw out all of my old Corona bottles about a month ago. I use to fill one for each batch to watch color and cleaification. I started to notice that even though I thought I always kept them in the dark, they did develope a slight skunky flavor more and more over time. Maybe I am just getting too picky but I am now in the process of getting rid of all of my green bottles. I would say use clear if you have to but avaoid it if you can. Make a trip to your local re-cycle center, they usally have tons of bottles that you can have.

I use 1 clear per batch and also green . If it came to a shortage of brown bottles I would have no problem using them.

Back