Keg cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiber

Reaction score
How hard is it to get one of these syrup extract kits out of your kegs? Does it make a horrible mess or is this easy enough to clean up I won't notice it in the next batch of beer?

You shouldn't notice it after your done cleaning properly. An extract beer shouldn't be any more difficult to clean than an all-grain or mini-mash. Once it's boiled and fermented, they should all be the same cleanup.

This appears to be in the soda forum, are you referring to a soda extract kit? In that case, it depends. Many sodas will really set into the rubber gaskets if you let them sit long enough. Cola and rootbeer are notorious for doing that.

You then have to do some extra cleaning on those. Kind of like when you first got the keg and it smelled like old cola. If you're not careful, your beer will taste like soda.

If you *are* referring to a malt extract, then it's just beer.

If you had soda in the keg, you will need to change out the rubber parts (which is easy to do -just unscrew the posts, pull the dip tube(s) out, slide off the rubber seals and slide new ones on -of course, give all the SS parts a good thorough cleaning -I use hot water and OxyClean but truly any detergent will work fine. Soda flavors get into the rubber parts.
The only rubber parts I've never changed out were the poppets in the posts -either they don't absorb enough to make a difference, or their surface area is too small to make a difference -but poppets are kind of expen$ive so I've never replaced them except when they wore out (only two so far) to the point that they leaked.

Back