too late to start a hop garden in GA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
I've been reading up on growing my own hops. I'm in GA (just out side Atlanta). From looking at Freshhops.com it says plant from march-may. Would the GA heat be bad if i were to start growing hops in say, 14 days?

Thinking of getting rhyzomes for cascade. East Kent Goldings, Willamette, and Nugget. Anyone know how these varieties may fare in GA?

thanks

Get started now and they will be ready for next year. It would not be a waste..

+1

I put a hallertau in on father's day weekend last year after I had a rhizome fail. It's back up and going to town for year two.

I would skip the EKG, they don't preform well at all here in GA... my second years are only about 1 inch tall.... vs. my Cascades that are about 10 feet.

I wish I had enough sun to grow some. Oh well, good luck! :mug:

EDIT: When I lived in Grayson there was a flashing traffic signal....now there are traffic jams!

EDIT: When I lived in Grayson there was a flashing traffic signal....now there are traffic jams!

I found the link for rhizome info, left laughing about Grayson. I grew up around Loganville, just down the road.

Now for my actual hops question: what have you had the best luck with here in GA and how tall should I expect them to get the first year?

i just planted cascade and centennial ... i'm in kennesaw... so i'm hoping to get this off the ground and established... maybe some cones.

Well I just ordered two rhizomes, Cascade and Fuggle. I'm going to try planting them in 5 gallon buckets first until I get a trellis built. We'll see how it goes. Anyone growing Fuggle here in GA?

I found the link for rhizome info, left laughing about Grayson. I grew up around Loganville, just down the road.

Now for my actual hops question: what have you had the best luck with here in GA and how tall should I expect them to get the first year?

Whare's Loganville?!

I think this season has been relatively cool and rainy, did you plant them?

Just ordered them last night so they probably won't be here until the end of next week. I plan to plant them in buckets this year and if they make it I'm going plant them in the ground in the fall after I cut them down.

I'm in Birmingham and my Cascades are in the shade. The only area I have to plant gets filtered sun at best. 2nd year Cascades are about 15ft right now. I think our direct sun and heat would nuke em.

I'm in Birmingham and my Cascades are in the shade. The only area I have to plant gets filtered sun at best. 2nd year Cascades are about 15ft right now. I think our direct sun and heat would nuke em.

You got a point. I can grow tomatoes just fine on my side yard, why not try some hops.

Any recommendations on where to buy them? I think I'll go with Centennial and Cascades. :mug:

Back