Keg newbie...what kind to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solardollars

Reaction score
I want to order about 4 kegs from Ebay, but am confused about the merits and so forth of the various kinds. What can anyone tell me about Cornelius (Cornies), Pepsi style, Coke style, pin lock, non pin lock, parts availability, etc.

There are some good prices on ebay for my needs, but I want to be able to clean them easily and hook up CO2 without plumbing nightmares.

Anyone know some good info?

I would say go for the ball lock (Pepsi) kegs, as opposed to the pin lock (Coke) kegs, if for no other reason than the availability and cost of replacement parts. You also need a special socket, or must modify a standard socket for use with the pin lock keg fittings.

John

Definately go Pepsi kegs if you can, if your buying used off of ebay a good rebuilt pepsi keg will usually run around $15-25. But dont be shy to call your local pepsi bottler/distributor, maybe they have some kicking around they're willing to give you.

Before you bid, be sure to check out this.

5 Gallon Ball Lock Cornys

For 15 bucks you get a stainless Corny keg that has no major dents, labels removed and pressure tested. For another 8 bucks, you get a set of O rings (5) and new poppits.

$22 for a de-labeled, pressure tested, corny with new O rings and poppits is a deal that I have not seen on eBay.

The only reason to go with the coke model is if you have height issues and can't fit the pepsi style in your fridge. I'll second the Adventures in Homebrewing suggestion. I ordered 3 from there and they're nice - got here fast too.

Get the o-ring kit. You might want to get a set of popits in case you have a problem with one of them. No reason to get a set for all of them.

EdWort said:
Cool. How are the corny's?

What did it cost to ship them?

cornies are in great shape. i didnt need to replace the rings but did anyways.

they have a shipping calculator on the your shopping cart screen

You will need to buy the poppets from a home brew shop, but you can save a bunch of money buying corny keg o-rings in bulk from McMaster-Carr. Here's what you'll need:

(1) Dip Tube O-Rings
5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" width
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100/$2.24

(2) Post O-Rings
7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" width
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100/$2.77

(3) Lid O-Rings
3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" width
9452K218 BunaN #417
Pkg 10/$12.50

John

EdWort said:
Before you bid, be sure to check out this.

5 Gallon Ball Lock Cornys
I live near Adventures in Homebrewing and can't recommend them enough. They are fantastic when it comes to customer service! They've been very patient with me, answering all of my questions, willing to talk commercial beer styles to match my tastes, and when I inquired about going AG they told me to bring in the cooler to match it with the right false bottom AND they would do the work of putting in the bulkhead kit for me too. You can't go wrong with them.

Jason

iloman said:
I live near Adventures in Homebrewing and can't recommend them enough. They are fantastic when it comes to customer service! They've been very patient with me, answering all of my questions, willing to talk commercial beer styles to match my tastes, and when I inquired about going AG they told me to bring in the cooler to match it with the right false bottom AND they would do the work of putting in the bulkhead kit for me too. You can't go wrong with them.

Jason

I could not agree more, I have been to the shop on many occasions and will continue to do buisness with Adventures in Homebrewing. All of the staff I have had the pleasure of meeting have been more outstanding and have gone out of their way to assist me.:rockin:

Back