How to get on OG? - What Tools

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I have yet to take gravity readinds on my beer as I have no idea how to get the sweet wort from the 6.5 gal primary into the flask! I've heard of using a baster, but I can't find one long enough to reach the top of the 5 gal batch.
Help! Thanks!

You can take the racking cane, or tubing, be real careful of cleanliness and sanitation.....Incert the tube in the carboy or bucket place your thumb over the hold in the other end. Remove cane and hold over your flask and take your thumb off it should release the liquid. Stainless tubing works good. Also you can take an auto siphon and incert in the beer just enough to get a sample. It has a flapper checkvalve in the bottom. Just be sure its clean.
Good luck!

I know this doesn't help you now... but take from your brew pot before you transfer it to your fermenter... or take that last little bit that didn't make it into the fermenter that was left over in your boil pot with the rest of the trub.

Or get a wine thief. It's a handy tool to have around as well.

Latest posts

Back