Rebuilding - Again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
So, with the move from Belgium to Colorado done, I was setting my sights on brewing again.
Then, I found out that I would need to have a service outlet installed to provide power for my electric setup.
Then, I found out that I was once more deploying to Afghanistan..."holy ****!! nooo!!!!" you might be screaming, but I said "**** YES!!!! MONEY!!!"
and quickly told the wife that I was rebuilding again.

The idea 15G Electric HERMS BRUTUS....

The pots - found a guy here in Colorado that is willing to mod all the pots the way I want, nad treat me nice becasue I am a soldier.
Stock Pots - http://www.highlanderbrewingsupply.com/servlet/the-59/15-Gallon-Brutus-kettles/Detail

There will be some mods, replace the tubing with stainless pick-ups, and use all SS 3 piece valves, also they will pop the holes for the 5500w elements in the HLT and BK. Add holes for the 25ft 3/8 od SS HERMS coil in the HLT, and add a sight glass to the BK.

Dual PID Control.
Hoping these PIDs will work, please chime in if they will not.
[URL]http://www.amazon.com/New-Temperatur...323334&sr=1-93[/URL]

Control Box
This is the starting point I think.
http://www.ebrewsupply.com/ebrew-kits/bcs-2-element-2-pumps-30a-kit-84.html

But to be honest, I would rather spend a few extra $$$ and have it built for me, this **** scares me.

Also, I already have 1 pump, and will pick up a second as well.

Also, also...iwill have the thermowells installed when I order the kettels.....

not sure if I am going to use a single tier, or a double to save some space...

So, any help, input or ideas are welcome

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for doing what you do and welcome to Colorado! Im on a propane rims, so not much to say...just wanted to stop in.

So, with the move from Belgium to Colorado done, I was setting my sights on brewing again.
Then, I found out that I would need to have a service outlet installed to provide power for my electric setup.
Then, I found out that I was once more deploying to Afghanistan..."holy ****!! nooo!!!!" you might be screaming, but I said "**** YES!!!! MONEY!!!"
and quickly told the wife that I was rebuilding again.

The idea 15G Electric HERMS BRUTUS....

The pots - found a guy here in Colorado that is willing to mod all the pots the way I want, nad treat me nice becasue I am a soldier.
Stock Pots - http://www.highlanderbrewingsupply.c...kettles/Detail

There will be some mods, replace the tubing with stainless pick-ups, and use all SS 3 piece valves, also they will pop the holes for the 5500w elements in the HLT and BK. Add holes for the 25ft 3/8 od SS HERMS coil in the HLT, and add a sight glass to the BK.

Dual PID Control.
Hoping these PIDs will work, please chime in if they will not.
http://www.amazon.com/New-Temperatur...323334&sr=1-93

Control Box
This is the starting point I think.
http://www.ebrewsupply.com/ebrew-kit...0a-kit-84.html

But to be honest, I would rather spend a few extra $$$ and have it built for me, this **** scares me.

Also, I already have 1 pump, and will pick up a second as well.

Also, also...iwill have the thermowells installed when I order the kettels.....

not sure if I am going to use a single tier, or a double to save some space...

So, any help, input or ideas are welcome

Tim

None of your links work.

All but the Amazon link.

It looks like ebrewsupply has some neat kits.

It is a link for a REX-c100 PID, I guess you can search it out yourself if you want...sorry

I got one off Ebay for $21 shipped, but it is a relay control only, so I will not use it.

And yes Ebrew has some really great stuff, but I woud rather pay send someone $300 and have them build it for me...

Thanks, I was more curious than anything. We sell a controller and I always check-out what else is selling. I already know about the REX-c100 - it measures in C (Celsius) only.

Who is we?

Celsius is not really an issue for me, after 5 years in Europe, I am used to metrics

and yes, I found that thread about the Rex about 6 hours to late...

Tim

"We" are kegkits and I won't send you a link because I don't advertise on this site. We pissed off quite a few members when the business failed a few years ago. But I love participating in this site & I contribute quite a bit - just search for posts by thargrav.

I took the time to research before selling PIDs & I found a low cost PID that can be programmed for F (Fahrenheit) and has a SSR output - it's a CXTG-3000-FK02-V*AN. All of the other low cost PIDs I found out of China would only display C (Celsius) & last time I checked everything sold on eBay will still only display C (Celsius).

"We" are kegkits and I won't send you a link because I don't advertise on this site. We pissed off quite a few members when the business failed a few years ago. But I love participating in this site & I contribute quite a bit - just search for posts by thargrav.

I took the time to research before selling PIDs & I found a low cost PID that can be programmed for F (Fahrenheit) and has a SSR output - it's a CXTG-3000-FK02-V*AN. All of the other low cost PIDs I found out of China would only display C (Celsius) & last time I checked everything sold on eBay will still only display C (Celsius).

Thanks for the input, sorry about the drama, and glad you still provide input. Will look around the interwebz to see if I can find a retailer for the PID you mentioned.

ETA: Found them.....

So, I am moviong along with the actaul hardware of the system, about to order the pots, and coil, and have it custom built as i want it.

I have shifted to thoughts of the HERMS control box. Mainly how many PIDs I will neeed. I would like to keep temps on all 3 of the vessels, but of course only 2 will need any sort of control.

Not usre how many PIDs I will need....

Tim

So, I am moviong along with the actaul hardware of the system, about to order the pots, and coil, and have it custom built as i want it.

I have shifted to thoughts of the HERMS control box. Mainly how many PIDs I will neeed. I would like to keep temps on all 3 of the vessels, but of course only 2 will need any sort of control.

Not usre how many PIDs I will need....

Tim

Look around this site for plans by P-J. I've been a electrician and EE for years and can say he has excellent designs.

As far as how many PIDs you will need? Some on this site will argue otherwise but I believe a PID to control your boil pot is a mis-application of technology. With boil you are controlling rate of boil, not temperature. I believe something like PWM or a high powered light dimmer is a smarter solution for a boil pot.

But if you want to use a PID for boil you will need two or three depending on your setup.

Look around this site for plans by P-J. I've been a electrician and EE for years and can say he has excellent designs.

As far as how many PIDs you will need? Some on this site will argue otherwise but I believe a PID to control your boil pot is a mis-application of technology. With boil you are controlling rate of boil, not temperature. I believe something like PWM or a high powered light dimmer is a smarter solution for a boil pot.

But if you want to use a PID for boil you will need two or three depending on your setup.

I think I will go with 2 PIDs. I want to see the temps of both the HLT and the Mash tun. I will prolly use one to control the power to the BK, just becasue I dont want to add another componet.

Tim

...and so I ahve officially begun.

Just orderd my HERMS coil and had it shipped to the guys that are building my brewpots. 50ft 1/2inch SS coil with a 12.5 inch diameter.

Ordered from Stainless Brewing dot com, they are having a sale on 1/2 tubing right now....

Also they brew pots that I am basing my build off of, have just recieved some nice new upgrades to the stock setup!

Tim

50ft of SS coil is en-route to Highlander Brewing.

So the build can start for real!

What to order next?

Whatcha got figured out as far as a sparge arm?

Barbed fitting and some 1/2 Silicon tubing....simple..effective..cheap....

much like this

IMG_7972.jpg

Tim

only all out expence are the kettels and the Herms controller, but still trying to keep it under 2 grand...lol

I think the 2 pids is the way to go, it's a little cheaper and gets the job done. There are lots of builds on this site with 2 pids that you could find one of those wiring diagrams for your build. It's fairly easy to do, I did my own and, while its not the prettiest inside, it still works perfect.

yes I am sure 2 PID is they way I am going to go, although I have a EBC from High Gravity for my Boil kettel, so 1 pid is not out of the relm of possibility

Even with one pid you can still make it work. The pid would control the hlt during mash, and switch it to manual model for the bk. you could then find a cheaper controller to just read the mash temp

looks to be the right size... will most likely need to drill and tap it... will is be two elements at once or one?

I can go eaith way. I ahve a stand alone controller from High Gravity foor the boil kettle.
But would am planning the build on 2 pid / 2 elements (one at a time) / 2 pumps

Tim

Yes, so the 1 PID system is how I am going to go. With a $300 prebuild control for the Boil Kettle, I cant justify the extra $$ on the 2 PID Control.

So, the plan is -
1 PID/RTD monitering the mash temp at the exit of the HEX, controlling the element in the HLT.
2 pumps; 1 recirq the HLT water 1 Recirq the Mash.
2 110v outlets for the pumps
1 220 outlet for the element.

Will order the DIY Kit from eBrewSupply, and have him upgrade it to all push-button lighted switches. And will figure out how to wire it so the element can not be turned on with out the HLT Recirq pump running.

Tim

looking good there

This pot has taken way longer tha nit shold have, but I am not in the States righ tnow so it is really not to big of a deal. The next 2 pots should not take near as long, or cost near as much. end of the day, this on will run me about $430 including the HEX and all the fittings to make it work. Not complaing, cnat wait to fire her up.

Sad part is there will be serious lag between getting all my toys and getting to brew, honestly, if I can brew before 2014 I will be surprised!

Tim

Is that a boil kettle with weldless fittings and a 50ft stainless wort chiller built in?!? Is that an electric heating element in there too?!?

Is that a boil kettle with weldless fittings and a 50ft stainless wort chiller built in?!? Is that an electric heating element in there too?!?

not a Boil but a HLT

15 gallon SS Kettle
50ft 1/2 HERMS Coil
240/5500 Heating Element
SS 3 piece valves
Water return for recirq

Tim

This pot has taken way longer tha nit shold have, but I am not in the States righ tnow so it is really not to big of a deal. The next 2 pots should not take near as long, or cost near as much. end of the day, this on will run me about $430 including the HEX and all the fittings to make it work. Not complaing, cnat wait to fire her up.

Sad part is there will be serious lag between getting all my toys and getting to brew, honestly, if I can brew before 2014 I will be surprised!

Tim

unfortunately.

but could biab it till you have everything...

Deployed until Nov, then have to build the HERMS controller...that is why it will be first of the year

Back