What Element........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I was thinking that, however I do have a 2" ferrule welded in......so I would imagine that helps me a bit.

Even the fold back seems to come back pretty close to the end.

That is one sweet item. I love Brewers Hardware. I threaded my own 2" TC caps to install my 5500W Camco elements and it is a sweet set up to work with. This item makes it a professional installation by providing a ground and cover.

I'm not sure what you mean by that?

You already have to install the element into something, like the side of you brew pot - that hole is a potential point of failure - it cold leak. Installing a element into one of these fittings adds another potential point of failure - another potential leak point - the cam lock joint.

I'm not used to the term fold back. The ultra low watt density 5500w elements do 'fold back' and have a ripple shape. The fit easily through a 2" TC ferrel.

You already have to install the element into something, like the side of you brew pot - that hole is a potential point of failure - it cold leak. Installing a element into one of these fittings adds another potential point of failure - another potential leak point - the cam lock joint.

With some of the rigged up electrical elements i have seen in this forum....i would hardly call this a potential point of failure. As far as i know tri clamp fittings are the joint of choice. (theres a joke here)

The ripple element fit easily. The one you linked to that is. I've never had a TC fitting leak. I also hate NPT with a passion. The Camco elements don't seal on the threads via tape so it's in pretty good shape if you don't over tighten it. If you do the elastomer gaskets squeezes out of the joint. That is a weak point I'd like to address some day.

cyberwollf said:
I have heard from a guy in our local club that the ripple wouldn't fit.

The ripple element does not fit the 1.5" adapter. I have the unused element to prove it.

thargrav said:
Why add one more point of failure?

There's a reason that tri-clamps are the fitting of choice in commercial food and beverage manufacturing. They don't leak easily. Even if they're a little misaligned, the beveled surfaces on the clamp fitting tend to pull the connection into line.

I work in a cheese plant that has thousands of TCs. I've never seen one that was sufficiently tightened leak.

The ripple element does not fit the 1.5" adapter. I have the unused element to prove it.

I have the 1.5" adapter as well, and just found that the ripples don't fit. :mad: It fits through the tri-clamp ferrule, but not through the actual element adapter http://www.brewershardware.com/TC15F10NPSCOV.html. Does anyone know if this http://www.amazon.com/Camco-02933-Heater-Element-Foldback/dp/B001RD7MK0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345636197&sr=8-3&keywords=camco%205500%20watt%20element will fit? I assume it does, because the ripple can come out about 2" through the adapter but gets jammed up by the curves of the element. Just want some confirmation before I have another useless element.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back