Pitching during bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heinz57

Reaction score
So my first brew is ready to bottle today after work, and I have an extra packet of Munton's dry ale yeast that I won't be able to use for another brew (I'm moving back to school at the beginning of August). Would there be any benefit at all in pitching any of that yeast during bottling? Thus far I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in terms of fermentation. Temp has been between 70-72, out of the sunlight etc. I realize that the yeast cost was only a hair above a dollar, but if I have it and the brew could benefit I figure why not?

If you can keep the yeast in a refrigerator, it will last a LONG time. Just make sure you use a starter when your ready to make your next brew. I would NOT add more yeast to the bottles.

I agree, no need to use it. And yes, keep it cool in the fridge and it'll definitely last up to and likely beyond the 'use by' date stamped on the packet.

Back