Would there be any problem heating a converted keg on a turkey fryer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just came across a full size 15 gallon keg shell and was thinking about converting it to a boil kettle. All I have for a burner is a cheap walmart turkey fryer. Will one of these fryers be powerful enough to heat up the thick bottom of the keg shell and get a good rolling boil?

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this. Thanks.

I am getting ready to try the same thing. I figured I'd fill it up with about 10 - 12 gallons of water and see if I could get a good boil. I need to clean mine out anyway, might as well try it.

No problems at all with me... I can do a 10 gallon batch on my cheap Lowes/HD turkey fryer.

The only problem I had was that the base wasn't wide enough to hold the keg. I've seen that others have used concrete blocks around the edge of the burner to support the keg, but I found that unstable.

Hey guys. I just came across a full size 15 gallon keg shell and was thinking about converting it to a boil kettle. All I have for a burner is a cheap walmart turkey fryer. Will one of these fryers be powerful enough to heat up the thick bottom of the keg shell and get a good rolling boil?

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this. Thanks.

Oh yea no problem with heating at all.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/theeelpout/cookin.jpg

Or you could do it the really unsafe way.

Keg%20burner%20support.JPG

Burner%20support.JPG

My Bud kegs don't fit my fryer frame but my Coors keg fit perfectly so I had it cut open and had a 1/2" coupler installed.
Here is the best shot I have of it now.

mash.jpg

BTW I can get 13 gallons to boil in around 30 minutes.

Back