How much grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
Sorry I have yet another stupid question for you folks....

Although I'm not that new to brewing, but I am new to grain brewing (I've only used extracts). I'd like to expand my hobby and brew with grain. Can anyone tell me how much grain is used in a typical 5-6.5 gallon batch. I don't mean pounds, I can get that from the recipes. I mean how much volume does a typical batch take up?

I saw the (very cooll) post "My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter Tun" from ChemE and want to duplicate his really sweet design. I also have an idea on making it with an adjustable Hartford loop to keep better track of the levels, that I want to try. Well anyway, I was on ebay last night and I saw the 10 gallon version of the cooler that ChemE used (only red). Since it was so cheap I figure what the heck, bigger is better right?? So, I bid on it and won it!!!! I got it for $20.50 plus $15 for shipping. Seem like a good price? (below is the link for another). This guy must have bought a ton of them. Well now I'm second guessing myself and I'm wondering if it will be too big? I know you need to maintain a min grin bed over the tubes and I wondering if I will be able to do this with this cooler or was I caught up in the ebay moment? Lastly, it's okay, if its too big, I needed a cooler anyway.

Coleman 10-Gallon Beverage Cooler New - eBay (item 360124323780 end time Jan-18-09 19:00:00 PST)

That's perfect. If you want to do any high gravity beers, a 5 gallon cooler may have been to small. I brew 5 gallon batches with a 48qt cooler, and my American Stout almost filled it to the top after I added my mash out water.

Back