Question: Bulk Priming in Primary Fermenter, No Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
Has anyone here had good results bulk priming in their primary fermenter i.e. no racking?

Based on these links doing a straight addition seems possible with good results.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Bulk_Priming

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

I don't mind the possibility of extra yeast in the bottle, however my concern would be the extra oxygen generated by gently stirring the beer before carbonation and bottling.

Also while waiting for the yeast to settle after stirring in the priming solution, would the sugar likely sink to the bottom?

A lot of people also very gently stir the beer in the bottling bucket, so I seriously doubt there's any negative effect. So long as the stir is very slow and gentle of course. Even Palmer mentions exactly what you're asking in How To Brew about adding it to the primary if you don't have a bottling bucket. He says to gently stir it and wait about 30 minutes for it to settle before bottling.

Rev.

Those have always been unanswered for me and i still question botteling preboiled water/sugar while its being racked into a botteling bucket even when stirred.If your confident in your priming sugar just add to the bottles. I was tring to think of a way to boil the water/sugar and evenley dividing it between bottles, but i do 2 gal batches so its more practical. skipping the racking to bottleing bucket seems like a step that could be eliminated for risk of oxidation,but i think its minimal and worth it to just rack it .You wont have a clear as a beer by stirring into primary and who knows if the sugar settles after 15 minutes as suggested for doing it this way. I had a green taste from dry priming at least thats what i thought that took 5+ weeks to conditon from, since then i just boil sugar/water and rack to a botteling bucket. Try it but i think i got some off tastes from dry priming that took long to mellow but could be wrong because they were my first few and have since learned a few other things that i could have done better, but i havent really been able to pin it on unboiled priming sugar.

Gee..... Stirring in priming solution to the primary fermentor without stirring up sediment? Wow.... That's a lot to ask. Seems much easier to rack to bottling bucket with priming solution added. Just make sure to do it . . . . . GENTLY ! . . . . .

NRS

I have always poured my priming sugar solution directly into my primary fermenter and then racked directly into my bottle and it has worked great every time (30 or so batches). I usually stir it in gently and let it sit for 5 minutes with no problems. The trub at the bottom is pretty settled after a few weeks and I rarely stir any of it into the beer.

I think bottling buckets just expose the beer to infection and oxygen and are not worth the trouble.

I have always poured my priming sugar solution directly into my primary fermenter and then racked directly into my bottle and it has worked great every time (30 or so batches). I usually stir it in gently and let it sit for 5 minutes with no problems. The trub at the bottom is pretty settled after a few weeks and I rarely stir any of it into the beer.

I think bottling buckets just expose the beer to infection and oxygen and are not worth the trouble.

X2

I could not agree more. It is surprising how easy it is to lightly stir the priming solution without disturbing the trub.
I usually leave my beer in the primary for three weeks and the trub is VERY settled.

I strongly urge people to at least try it once

Back