Can you add too much yeast nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rostato

Reaction score
I just started my first yeast starter and wasn't paying attention to the instructions and added likes 1/4 oz of yeast nutrient to the DME. Then I realized I only needed to add a "pinch"

So, am I fine? Or should I just boil a new starter for the yeast while its cooling down?

I'm not sure what would happen if you REALLY overdid it, but this case should be fine. The yeast might not metabolize all the nitrogenous goodies in there, but you added about the perfect amount for a full batch of beer (7g, ish). When you pitch that in there you'll have plenty of nutrition for growth that happens in the main batch.

If the yeats don't consume it the nutrient will just fall out of suspension and end up in the trub at the bottom of the fermentor. You will be just fine.

This!

I don't even measure the amount I put in. I always just eyeball it and then add another dash for good measure...

Back