End of Summer IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorYorick

Reaction score
Batch Size 5.5 Gallons "edit" I will be brewing this in a few days, hoping for a great refreshing IPA to end the summer with. Plan to drink the first pull on Sept 21st.
60 Min Boil
Expected Gravity 1.073
IBU 61.8
SRM 14

80% American 2 Row: 12 lbs
13% Crystal 40L: 2 lbs
7% Caramunich 40L: 1 lb

Hop Schedule:
Chinook 1 oz 60 min
Amarillo .5 oz 30 min
Citra .5 oz 20 min
Amarillo .5 oz 10
Citra .5 oz Flameout
Amarillo 1 oz Dry Hop 14 Days
Citra 1 oz Dry Hop 14 Days

Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Target ABV 7.3 %

I am going to brew it on Saturday. Yea feedback would be cool if you have any. I've been researching some citra based IPA's and this is what I came up with. I am very interested to see what this will taste like! I expect goodness :)

Cool.

Two comments:
I'd cut way back on the crystal...maybe in half. If you want more character without finishing too sweet you could add Munich or Vienna.
You can simplify your hop additions: I'd move 30min Amarillo to dry hop and 20 min citra to 10 mins.

Cheers, I was thinking maybe switch the caramunich around with the crustal, but I am lookin to go semi sweet.... trying to break my girlfriend into the world of hoppier beers.

So you would dry hop 1.5 of Amarillo and eliminate using the Citra and Amarillo for small bittering elements? And only boiling them for ten min? i was putting these quantities at 30 min and 20 min to add a little hint of the bittering characteristics of these hops.... as small as they are already.

Well 3 lbs of crystal in a 5g batch will definitely be sweet, and may dwarf all that wonderful hop character. Cutting it in half to 1.5 lbs will still be really sweet, but will allow more hop character to come through.

Have you considered honey malt? Even 1/4 lb in a 5g batch is enough to add considerable sweetness without the thick syrupiness of too much crystal.

Ah, no I havent. I did some research on the honey malt a few batches ago... would you use it in the mash or steep it? I heard the steeping of the honey malt bring out some great tastes.

Alright thanks for the feedback! I will brew your suggestion on Sunday and get a good comparison going.

Excellent. Post your revised recipe, and hopefully you'll get a few other opinions on it.

yep, cut down the crystal and swap the 30 minute. For a nice IPA I like doing 60, 15, 10, 5, 0, and later the dry hop.

Cool.

Two comments:
I'd cut way back on the crystal...maybe in half. If you want more character without finishing too sweet you could add Munich or Vienna.
You can simplify your hop additions: I'd move 30min Amarillo to dry hop and 20 min citra to 10 mins.

I agree with this. I only use 1 lb of Crystal malts in my IPA's and you really don't need Cara malts for head retention. I have never had a good IPA that had a lot of head retention...head on a super hoppy beer tends to muddy the hop flavor.

I always use 10-20% vienna in my IPA's. :tank:

I agree with this. I only use 1 lb of Crystal malts in my IPA's and you really don't need Cara malts for head retention. I have never had a good IPA that had a lot of head retention...head on a super hoppy beer tends to muddy the hop flavor.

I always use 10-20% vienna in my IPA's. :tank:

Ah that would have been alot better! Im gonna brew this recipe since Ive already got my grains all mixed together and then I'll change it up next time around. Vienna will be the 13 % next time and if I use crystal again Ill use it for the 7%

I pitched yeast on Sunday and theOG was 1.067 so pretty close to what i was shooting for. Brings my efficiency to 69% though so I have some figuring to do next go round. I pitched the 1056 and it began bubbling in about 5 hours :) Now it's going strong. I'll let yall know if anything happens till kegging.

If you're trying to get your girlfriend to like a hoppy beer I would stay away from the sweetness from crystal malt.

I actually think shes gonna dig this beer. By hoppy I didnt mean high IBU's and the crystal in the recipe looks like alot but it's coming out nicely. Smells great and I just added a couple oz's of dry hop to sit for two more weeks and then we will see. I think its gonna be pretty good. However I am concerned with my water. I have been using my hose water for a year and never paid it mind, but recently Im tasting more "chlorine" in my beer I guess. Should I purify my water and add minerals to balance it>?

Back