Galactic Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain23

Reaction score
So, I brewed up a blonde ale this weekend, loosely based on Revvy's recipe...

6 lbs Pilsner DME
1 lb Belgian Aromatic
1 lb Vienna

1 oz Sterling, 20M + 1/2 oz cracked corriander
1 oz Saaz, 5M + 1/2 oz cracked corriander

Wyeast 3787

I think this is going to be awesome! However, I cannot resist the urge to tinker further. I'm impulse purchased a couple of oz's of Galaxy hops, and I want to throw them in as a dry hop! And if I go that route, I could even add some passionfruit juice to reinforce that flavor? Maybe I should just shut up and enjoy this as is already!

Still looking for some feedback for this one if possible. I know a lot of my beers are weird out of style mongrels, but I'm only concerned that the beer taste good! Should I dry hop this bad boy with the galaxy?

Galaxy is amazing. I had it in a clean IPA with warrior last night and it was darn good.

The coriander (a whole ounce yowzer) and Saaz will definitely make this beer a style to itself if you dry hop with galaxy. I think it sounds like a good experiment, and as the dry hop fades it will turn into a completely different brew. If you can stand NOT drinking it!

So, I brewed up a blonde ale this weekend, loosely based on Revvy's recipe...

6 lbs Pilsner DME
1 lb Belgian Aromatic
1 lb Vienna

1 oz Sterling, 20M + 1/2 oz cracked corriander
1 oz Saaz, 5M + 1/2 oz cracked corriander

Wyeast 3787

I think this is going to be awesome! However, I cannot resist the urge to tinker further. I'm impulse purchased a couple of oz's of Galaxy hops, and I want to throw them in as a dry hop! And if I go that route, I could even add some passionfruit juice to reinforce that flavor? Maybe I should just shut up and enjoy this as is already!

Just so you know, Vienna and Aromatic have to be mashed. I think they have enough enzymes to convert themselves, but I'm not sure. I would leave out the corriander and definitely dry hop with Galaxy. Should be a pretty good brew.

Yeah, I mashed 'em BIAB style so should be good to go. Ok, I'm doin it! Will post up the results in a few weeks hopefully!!
Skipping the fruit juice.

i'd ditch the coriander for the galaxy. try to find a commercial white IPA to get an example of coriander plus hops, i think it pairs miserably

The beer is already brewed, so can't really remove the corriander. However, this batch has already been aging for a month and a half. I have a feeling that by the time I get around to adding the dry hops, (possibly up to a month from now), that the corriander will be almost undetectable, (and the pungency of the galaxy hops will definitely overpower the spices). We'll see though, always a work in progress!

I think I might take Pesi's suggestion though and split the batch.

The gravity finally settled down to within specifications 1.012 so I added the dry hops last night. 2 oz of galaxy and 1 oz of amarillo. Holy cow, I wanted to start nom'ing on the galaxy hops out of the bag- they smell amazing! I did have a quick question- the beer itself is a little hazy, I want to add some gelatin to clear it, but can I do this simultaneously while dry hopping without killing my flavor and aroma?

acidrain23 said:
The gravity finally settled down to within specifications 1.012 so I added the dry hops last night. 2 oz of galaxy and 1 oz of amarillo. Holy cow, I wanted to start nom'ing on the galaxy hops out of the bag- they smell amazing! I did have a quick question- the beer itself is a little hazy, I want to add some gelatin to clear it, but can I do this simultaneously while dry hopping without killing my flavor and aroma?

I've been giving 7 days dry hop then putting fermentor into ice bath for 3 days. Drops the hops, clears the beer pretty effectively.

I use a rubbermaid (like for moving). Put in the fermenter, fill with cold tap water to about halfway, then add two frozen gallon sealed jugs of water. I keep four jugs in rotation, changing morning/night. Gets the fermentor down to 45-50F. Of course it would be nice to have a fridge to put it in but this is the caveman way of doing it.

Just wanted to provide an update on this one- the beer came out great!

The beer pours a beautiful golden color, haze is gone if poured carefully. Head is thick but dissipates fairly quickly leaving some lacing on the glass. Aroma is great, tropical fruit/passionfruit character which segues into the more traditional belgiany flavor profile. Taste is a bit spicy (from the corriander and Saaz?), not sweet, a little tart with the phenolics. The slight tart edge reinforces the fruit flavors from the hops. Body is a bit thin, but it makes the beer very drinkable. Very happy with the way this one came out! Its also very unlike any beer I've had to date.

Back