Recipe Check Needed Piney IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckfan124912

Reaction score
This is my first recipe I have come up with and need someone to double check it. I am trying to make a piney IPA using Columbus for bittering with Simcoe and Chinook for the flavoring/aroma additions. I don't want it to be that bitter looking more for a piney aroma/flavor (trying to keep it around 60 IBU). I am not sure on my hop addition times, would it be better to follow a different hop schedule, or use more/less hops at different times?

5 Gallon Batch
OG 1.067
IBU 60.4
SRM 10.7
Malt:
12 pounds 2.1 oz 2 Row
2 pound 2.7 oz Crystal 40L

Hop Additions:

60 min - .72oz Columbus
20 min - .55oz Chinook, .55oz Simcoe
6 min - .55oz Chinook, .55oz Simcoe
0 min - .55oz Chinook, .55oz Simcoe
Dry Hop - .55oz Chinook, .55oz Simcoe

Using over 2 lbs of C40 will kill any hope of having a hop forward beer with a distinct piney aroma. Cut the crystal to 0-5% of the total recipe. Add some carapils and mash below 151 F. If you want more malt character, fill in the gaps with wheat or rye or english malt. Supplement the base malt with 5% sugar or so to dry it out a bit more if desired.

Nix the 20 minute hop addition and double your additions to meet 8 or more total oz. at 10-5-0. Finish with at least a dryhop of 0.50 oz. dryhops per gallon of beer, preferably .67.

Your hop selection is good. Go heavy on the Simcoe. If you want to add another hop, go with Apollo and/or Centennial. I would use Simcoe in the dryhop on its own for this goal. Chinook isn't as piney, and is more about spicy grapefruit with pine in the background.

Finally, go with a nice clean WLP001 starter.

I agree with bobbrews on this. A half lb of c40 and the same amount of Carapils. Some sugar wouldn't hurt, but probably isn't necessary with anything less than a 1070 gravity... especially with a lower mash temp. The first addition is fine if that's what you're looking for in the bittering department, but I'd double the later additions.

Drop the C-40 to .5# and add.5# carapils.
Follow the other instructions on the hop changes. Agree with WLP001.

Awesome. I was also thinking about making a beer with a piney flavour/aroma to it, but I'd like to make it much less bitter (more an APA than an IPA). I assume I'd have to cut back the 60 min hop addition to get the IBUs down.

Let us know how this turns out. I probably won't brew this until winter or next spring.

I actually did a 10 gallon batch and used crystal 60. It was:

Untitled Recipe
American IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 07/08/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal Brewer: DD
Boil Size: 13.49 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
End of Boil Volume 11.70 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 10.05 gal Est Mash Efficiency 83.6 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
25 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 92.6 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.4 %
3.00 oz Magnum [16.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min 69.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [8.90 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.50 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 15.0 min 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21ml]

Beer Profile
Measured Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.6 %
Bitterness: 69.8 IBUs
Est Color: 9.6 SRM

I dry hopped with
2 oz citra
1 oz amarill0
1 centennial

Looks better. I would still like half the crystal to be cut for personal tastes, and also to use a lighter grade of crystal (or none at all)!

That's a lot of IBUs for the first addition. Expect this 1.066/1.010 IPA to be plenty bitter. I would've used half that and more late addition hops from 20-7 min.

Your final IPA should be more fruity and tropical than piney.

FYI - 15, 10, & 5 minute boil additions do not qualify as an "Aroma Steep" - That term is only in relation to post-boil hops.

Looks better. I would still like half the crystal to be cut for personal tastes, and also to use a lighter grade of crystal (or none at all)!

That's a lot of IBUs for the first addition. Expect this 1.066/1.010 IPA to be plenty bitter. I would've used half that and more late addition hops from 20-7 min.

Your final IPA should be more fruity and tropical than piney.

FYI - 15, 10, & 5 minute boil additions do not qualify as an "Aroma Steep" - That term is only in relation to post-boil hops.

Thanks for the input!:ban: That's not the OP's recipe though, I just wanted to show the similarities between his and mine.:mug: I wasn't trying to make a piney IPA though. And while I'm getting my recipe critiqued, I used 8oz of hops between 15min and flameout. How much more would you have added?

Thought you were the same guy for a second!

To answer your question... for a 10.50 gallon batch, I would say 12-18 total oz. hops should be used. Whatever way you want to divvy that up is your choice, but I would recommend using the majority of it late and in the dryhop. You used 15 oz. total, but had way too much for the first addition. I'm not arguing the amount of total hops used, just the placement of the hops and the amounts you chose to use at each spot. I would've got 30 IBUs from the first addition, perhaps a small charge around 30 min, 5.5 oz. for the dryhop, and divvied up the rest of the hops late in the boil.

3.00 oz Magnum [16.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min 69.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [8.90 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.50 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 15.0 min 0.0 IBUs

I dry hopped with
2 oz citra
1 oz amarill0
1 centennial

The way you wrote your recipe was confusing btw...I didn't understand at first. You start the late additions with 5, then jump to 10, 0, and 15. My bad for overlooking that.

I like your idea for the hop schedule. I'll try it in the next batch. Fwiw, my Ipas are generally almost more am. strong ales than they should be. I've been playing with just a little bit of character malt and varying my hops.

Back