Fermented a (lager) starter too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periwinkle1239

Reaction score
Let's just say a certain someone fermented his 1-gal lager starter in the low 80's. He has a really nice cake though. Assuming he cold crashes and decants, will he be ok? Planning to ferment main batch at 52 degrees.

Just decant the liquid and you're good. That's warmer than I would personally like a lager starter, but since you're decanting its not big deal at all

Let us know how it turns out. I'm sure the yeast loved it, lots of growth. Hopefully they won't have too hard a time getting into the groove at 50°. If you have a nice slurry, I'd skip the cold crashing unless it's been a couple of days.

No way, decant it. That fermented starter will taste awful fermented at 80. You don't want that in the finished product.

It has been a couple of days, I am definitely going to decant it. I don't want a whole gallon of that awful tasting stuff in my lager. I put it in the fridge last night, it looks like it's pretty much all settled out but I'm not going to brew until tomorrow so I'll give it another day for the cake to harden even more so I can pour off ALL of the liquid. BTW the yeast is 2352 munich lager II and I'll be making a Helles with it. Cheers!

To be clear, I don't think anyone would put that starter beer in the wort. I just said skip the crashing. It's not good for the yeast. If it's been a couple of days I'd put in the fridge for a couple of hours to help it drop, but if you have a nice slurry no real need to.

For my lager starters, I ferment the starter at the same initial temp as the main beer, usually 48-56 degF. A good lager yeast will get a nice kruesen on it and you pitch it when it gets to high kruesen. I usually pour off a good bit of the starter beer and just add the rest as is.

Back