pump system for a bad back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proofman

Reaction score
I’m accumulating equipment to go AG. Right now I do PM with 6 gal boils in my shop. I have a very bad back (multiple herniated/ruptured discs). I brewed a batch Sat and that night and next day I paid for it. This has me thinking I would like to do a single level, pump system to reduce the amount of lifting involved. Anyone here use a cooler for a MLT on a single tier system?

I like the process of switching hoses around. It makes me feel like a mad scientist. That is, until I pull one off without closing the bulkhead valve and shoot 180F water onto my balls. Then I just feel like Homer Simpson.

if you do it right, you can hook up a pump at the bottom part of your setup so that it's self-priming and you can easily switch between kettle/mash/lauter, etc.

my friend uses the same pump for mash recirculation, lautering, mash to kettle transfer, kettle recirculation and even kettle to fermenter transfer. It's pretty amazing what you can do with that little guy and some QDs and high-grade hoses.

I haven't yet invested in the pump, but i also have a pretty bad back and will upgrade soon.

if you do it right, you can hook up a pump at the bottom part of your setup so that it's self-priming and you can easily switch between kettle/mash/lauter, etc.

my friend uses the same pump for mash recirculation, lautering, mash to kettle transfer, kettle recirculation and even kettle to fermenter transfer. It's pretty amazing what you can do with that little guy and some QDs and high-grade hoses.

I haven't yet invested in the pump, but i also have a pretty bad back and will upgrade soon.

Got any pics?

You also have the option of building a tower system and not even using a pump. I can go from the HLT to mash tun to boil keggle to chiller to carboy with just gravity. A garage with a slightly higher ceiling helps.

Back