Commercial beers that are good for educating my taste buds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefost

Reaction score
I'm interested in trying commercial beers that can give me a really good idea of what single ingredients taste like without having to make a whole batch.

For example - Arrogant bastard is a good example of an all Chinook beer

Any other good ones you can think of? Also any beers that are essentially the same recipe but with one ingredient different would be really useful as well.
:mug:

Awesome thread! I've been looking for a discussion like this for a while, here's hoping it goes long and turns into a great resource.

Good old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale isn't made with all Cascade, but everything after the bittering charge is Cascade so it should be a good example of the flavor and aroma.

Great idea for a thread. Im very interested in this as I also am a newb trying to figure out what effects flavor how. Hopefully this takes off.

Sweetwater 420 made me fall in love with cascade hops, buy it by the pound now. Also Founder's Breakfast Stout has opened my eyes to a whole new style, and how roasted malts give a coffee flavor.

Warsteiner and Wurnesguener (Aldi) will give you a good idea of German pilsner malt

On the same note, Pilsner Urquell is a good example of Saaz hops

Thanks for all the ideas, keep 'em coming :D

Have you thought about doing 1 gallon BIAB batches? They are pretty quick and don't use much ingredients.

Yep, I even have some 1 gallon glass jugs ready to go to ferment in. Just need to find the time (and some extract as I've been doing all grain).

Did some searching and here are two more good ones:

Sam Adams New Albion Ale - All cascade hops and pale malt

Real Ale Fireman's #4 Blonde - All crystal hops and pale malt

Dark Horse Brewery does single-hop IPAs - I know they've bottled them with citra, falconer flight and cascade last winter (in a mixed 12 pack) and have done others (amarillo for sure) but I don't know if they bottled those.

Fresh Budweiser - Restrained Acetaldehyde

Budweiser has an ester profile that has been described as "apple esters" but it certainly does not normally have acetaldehyde. Coors yeast (and therefore Coors beer), on the other hand is well know for its high level of AA

Crouchvale brewers gold. An excellent example of a cask conditioned ale and a single hop beer. If your in the states you might have trouble getting it.

old speckled hen - diacetyl (love this beer btw)

Ever tried Golden hen? its by green king too, just slightly more refined version of OSH. I think thats a single addition galaxy, but I could be wrong

Ever tried Golden hen? its by green king too, just slightly more refined version of OSH. I think thats a single addition galaxy, but I could be wrong
No, I'll have to look out for it. I think OSH is awesome. I hadn't heard of Golden Hen, I'll have to look out for it.

I full name is old golden hen, the bottle looks pretty much like OSH

Sixpoint does their "Spice of Life" series - a Single Hop IPA that comes out every month with different hops (otherwise all is the same recipe from grain bill, through fermentation schedule).
And excellent way to really see how a specific hop contributes to a beer.

Here's the current Spice of Life "calendar" so you know what hops are coming:
http://sixpoint.com/menus/SOL_Calendar.jpg

Mikkeler also does a single hop IPA I enjoy.

Back