Beginner brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a Heather Amber ale. Pretty good beer. I drink mainly stouts and creams (boddingtons) and wheats so it was an ok beer. I'm starting a new batch on Sunday and hoping I do a little better this go around

Good luck

My first was a brown ale. Simple and easy and hard to mess up. The recipe is in my dropdown over there on the left if you want to peek at it. It's a partial mash that's pretty easy to do with a stove and oven.

All-grain? Extract?

I'd try a general pale ale.... Fermentation temp is easier to handle compared to lagers. At least for a first brew...

Would give more details if I knew whether it was all-grain, extract, BIAB, etc....

MoreHops said:
All-grain? Extract?

I'd try a general pale ale.... Fermentation temp is easier to handle compared to lagers. At least for a first brew...

Would give more details if I knew whether it was all-grain, extract, BIAB, etc....

You got a good American pale ale recipe under your hat? Or anyone for that matter?

You got a good American pale ale recipe under your hat? Or anyone for that matter?

Mine's in my dropdown. It won the APA category in the first HBT competition a few years back. It's a partial mash recipe. There's also a lot of great recipes, from simple to complex, in the recipe section of the forum.

My first a couple years ago was the Cooper's OS Lager that came with my micro brew Fv kit. I've since moved on to PM. Even adding PM to Cooper's cans,which is beginning to look like the latest craze. Got one in bottles now.
Check out my recipes for "Sunset Gold APA" if you're into AE brews.

If you are doing all grain, try this one.

5 gallons, 60 min boil

8 lb 2 row
1 lb vienna malt
1 lb crystal 60L

1 oz cascade @ 60 mins
.5 oz amarillo @ 20 mins
.5 oz amarillo @ 5 mins

Pitch with Wyeast 1056, 1272, 1450 or whatever you like.

Cheap, simple, and delicious!

Back