APA critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adaml23

Reaction score
Looking for a nice house APA with a cirtusy, piney hop flavor/aroma profile. Hows this look:

Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 12.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.9 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.3 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.9 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 4.9 %
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.20 %] - Boil 60. Hop 5 19.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 6 10.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 4.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 4.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 20 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 28.82 qt of water at 162.3 F 150.0 F 75 min

Any thoughts on dryhopping? i was thinking cascade but not sure how much or for how long. is 1 oz for 7 days long enough? I like citrusy aromas so im open to suggestions. Thanks!

Looks good, very similar to my APA. The simcoe is a great addition when you can get it. I dry hop 2 oz on 5 gallons for 7 days. Usually half centennial, half cascade or Amarillo.

I'm kinda looking for a New belgium Ranger flavor but maybe not as hoppy or piney. is the 1oz simcoe gonna be enough or too much?

If it were me, I would skip dry hopping with that amount of late additions.

That's not a really huge amount of late addition hops for a 10 gallon recipe. I would definitely dry hop it. At least 2 oz for 7-10 days. Maybe 1oz Simcoe and 1oz Cascade or Centennial. I would probably double the Munich and Vienna as well if it were me. And take away the 2 pounds of 2-row to keep the OG the same.

Skip dry hopping for an APA?

Have you seen your therapist recently?

B-)

I never dry hop APAs. I leave that to IIPAs.

My sense of smell is not great so I focus on the late additions that I can taste. Dry hopping doesn't make a huge difference to me.

Example...I barely got any aroma from this year's Pliny the Younger. :sadface:

I would probably double the Munich and Vienna as well if it were me. And take away the 2 pounds of 2-row to keep the OG the same.

I thought about putting more of these in but this will be our first attempt at this recipe. so i figured i'd start out with a simple grainbill and hopefully build on it. do you think the hops/maltiness wont be very balanced?

I think the centennial is wasted at 25 min. I would move it to somewhere in the last 10 min.
You will be very low on aroma from just 1oz of cascade at flameout. You will need to add at least 1oz of probably centennial to this or do some good dry hopping or aroma will finnish up very low.

Why would the centennial be wasted?? i figure its gonna have a little higher AA rating than the Cascade but same caracteristics so it should be in the boil longer? no?

Is there a typical GU:IBU ratio range for an APA?

Because it gives great flavour and aroma but being boiled for 25min most of that will be lost ,particularly the aroma contribution.

The typical ratio I would use is .7-.8 so 35-40 ibu for a 1050 OG.

Back