Grain Mill on the Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigadam

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a couple beers this weekend that involve about 20 pounds of grain. While my local supply store provides a mill for free, I don't really feel like running back and forth for that if I can just do it with something I already have at home. My wife has a hand powered chopper for things like vegetables, etc. While it will take awhile to get through the full amount of the grain, would that work as a cheap mill until I invest in an actual grain to have at home?

Maybe someone has tried this and can weigh in, but I have my doubts that this will work well. I'm guessing it will result in a very uneven product or a too finely chopped result that could end in a stuck mash. If you're going to try this without a mill, I think something like a rolling pin would produce better results. It will crush the grain and should leave the hulls intact.

If you've got $99 to spare...
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/12/grain-mill-99-pre-order-sale.html

Check this out if the link works

Check out this video on YouTube:

[ame]http://youtu.be/YwbnHyDZoHk[/ame]

I've played w a pasta roller...they work, helps to run the grain through twice,,,not something I would advise trying...corona mill is the best budget option available IMO

wilserbrewer said:
I've played w a pasta roller...they work, helps to run the grain through twice,,,not something I would advise trying...corona mill is the best budget option available imp

You must have had it adjusted wrong. I put over 200 pounds through mine before I sold it and never had a problem. Actually going to make another one soon so I can start buying in bulk again.

You must have had it adjusted wrong. I put over 200 pounds through mine before I sold it and never had a problem. Actually going to make another one soon so I can start buying in bulk again.

No, I had the pasta roller adjusted, and as I said, "they work", I used it for a few batches. IMHO a $25 Corona is a far better option than the $15 pasta roller. Just my opinion after using both types, that's all.

Just my opinion, but I feel the rollers on the pasta mill are to small for use as a grain mill, sure they work.

Back