Kölsch Neal's Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i didnt place with the kolsch,i think its one of my best beers.My pumkin pie took 1st place and 2nd in best of show!! I still love this kolsch thanks neal.

Nice job on the pumpkin pie! I need to brew up some more of this Kolsch, it's on my short list of upcoming brews!

I just got the score sheets in the mail final score was a 25 which isnt bad. Somehow both score sheets detected sulfur which i was unaware of even though i drank 5 gallons of the stuff? Both found the body a little heavy and taste a little cloying maybe due to my higher mash temps. Im thinking the sulfur must have been due to the kolsch yeast?

I just got the score sheets in the mail final score was a 25 which isnt bad. Somehow both score sheets detected sulfur which i was unaware of even though i drank 5 gallons of the stuff? Both found the body a little heavy and taste a little cloying maybe due to my higher mash temps. Im thinking the sulfur must have been due to the kolsch yeast?

I would be surprised if they dinged you much for sulfur... it really isn't a defect in a Kolsch and I actually think it can be a nice touch. The mash temp could have got you though, a bit lower and you could have attenuated more and had a more clean/crisp beer.

Sorry it didn't do as well in competition as you had hoped, glad you enjoyed it though!

BJCP Guidelines said:
Aroma: Very low to no Pils malt aroma. A pleasant, subtle fruit aroma from fermentation (apple, cherry or pear) is acceptable, but not always present. A low noble hop aroma is optional but not out of place (it is present only in a small minority of authentic versions). Some yeasts may give a slight winy or sulfury character (this characteristic is also optional, but not a fault).

I just carb in the keg and let it age for a few weeks before serving... works fine for me.

Holy fast reply!

Thanks Neal, looks like a great recipe. I've been looking for a good lawnmower beer, this might be the one.
I have trouble waiting for beers to be done ;)

Cheers

Absolutely a solid recipe-brewed this with pineapple for kicks and a 1/2# extra munich malt and it is absolutely awesome. Can't wait for the bottles to carb!

I just got all the ingredients for this recipe. Will be brewing it Thursday! Hope it is as good as it sounds!

I just brewed 10 gallons of the kolsch today, I ended with an sg of 1.060 which sounds high, I opted to use the Wyeast Kolsch yeast to see if I also get the sulfuric esters. Will keep everyone posted, the wort tasted good :) thanks Neal!

Great, hope it turns out awesomely! I need to brew up a fresh batch myself!

All I can say about this recipe is: Wow! I kegged it yesterday and took a sample, it tastes great, waiting for 2 months is going to be a struggle. I will post again when I finally succumb to the temptation to tap my keg. So you may be hearing from me tomorrow. Cheers!

I'm gonna make a couple batches of this soon. I'm going to substitute Castle Pilsner for the two row, and do a five step mash up to 149*f. What do you think about this?

Okay, okay... I did my best to not tap my kolsch keg....and then my (Sea)hawks won! And before I knew it, the kolsch was flowing like a rapid river thru my tap handle. My review up to this point: still awesome! All my guests were stoked, amd loved it! Thank goodness I had.the forsight to.stash my other keg in a different fridge. Will do my best not to touch it until the 2 mo.th mark... As soon as my okto is done fermenting, I am going to brew this same recipe again using the same yeast.

I did the same thing, it was really good after just a couple of weeks... but, it really comes into it's own after a few months (much like many beers).

Glad you're enjoying it!

Back