Muntons kit, secondary, flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cg2112

Reaction score
A few questions from someone relatively new to brewing.

I have a Muntons wheat kit fermenting right now. The instructions recommend moving to a secondary after two days (I'm three days in, actually). This seems pretty soon to me, but I've never used a secondary, I've stuck to Mr Beer and similar recipes up until now (and really, this kit isn't much different - just larger, really). Thoughts?

I've got a bucket for fermenting, and a bucket for bottling. Is there any reason I can't use the bottling bucket as a secondary, and then just bottle from that?

Lastly, this is a wheat, and I'd like to add some flavor. I want to experiment, so I plan on flavoring by the bottle (I know I want to do an apricot and a cherry, at least). I plan on just using the 4oz brewers best bottles of flavoring. Any recommendations on flavoring per 12oz beer bottle?

Thanks!

Just keep it in the primary. No real need for a secondary.

As for experimenting. You have brewed this before and know what it taste like? One thing new brewers do is get bored and experiment which is wrong. Brew another batch instead. I know your pain but. . . . Until you know what the final beer taste like . . .

I've never brewed this particular beer. But I'm also going to have 6 gallons when I'm done, so as far as flavoring goes, most of it won't be, but I want to experiment with a couple six packs, my wife isn't a big beer drinker, but she does like flavored wheats. This stuff was also super cheap, so I don't really have to worry about wasting anything but my time.

I added some essences during one of my first batches directly to the bottles. After doing the math, I added 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of essence per 25 ounce bottle. For the most part, it was not a great choice to do so in my opinion. A few were decent, but not all of them tasted that great. The amount was correct. The effect just wasn't what I hoped for across the board.

The general recommendation appears to be up to 4 ounces for a five gallon batch.

To know how much to add per bottle, you will have to figure out how many bottles your batch will provide and do the math from there. Sorry, but that is the best I can do to help you with this.

I have this on tap right now. I mixed it with a combo of DME and Wheat DME. I let it sit in the primary 5 weeks. However I pitched using the Danstar Munich wheat yeast. For a can beer kit, I am thoroughly liking it!

The thing about experimenting with a kit beer is that you may introduce an off flavor in the beer that normally would not be there. However you will not know for sure. So it comes down to asking yourself do you want to spend more $ to brew it again (stock) and find out?

These cans also make a great hefeweizen when combined with 3 lbs. of wheat DME and using Wyeast 3068. 5 gallons of it went quick in my house.

Only initial fermentation will be done in a couple of days. It'll then slowly,uneventfully ferment down to FG. Then give it another 3-7 days after that to settle out clear or slightly misty. It'll also clean house in that same time frame.
As for the flavor extract,it seems like about 1/2tsp per 12oz bottle would work.

Back