Why boil the wort and hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
Is it really necessary to boil the wort and hops? Bitterness extraction at 100 deg C is not likely to be more efficient than 95 deg C and the venting steam certainly carries away some of the bitterness. I tend to think that the flavour and aroma hop additions would be more effective at 95 deg C. An odd vigorous stir with a paddle should be enough. Has anyone done any experiments in this area, please?

I believe that the boil drives off compounds like dimethylsulfide and other things that lead to off flavors, not to mention the evaporation and reduction of wort volume. Hop utilization would be low without a boil as well , the agitation extracts the essential oils ,IMHO anyway...

I would think it has more to do with the unseen action that takes place when boiling the wort, and the benefits there of, then just the extraction temp of the hops
could always do a hop "tea" type experiment?

Also boiling sterilizes the wort so you don't get any nasty surprises during your fermentation.

Thanks folks, next brew I will add bittering hops and boil for 30 minutes, then reduce temp to 95 deg c and add flavour hops for another 30 mins, putting in the aroma hops for the last 10 minutes.

Bitterness extraction at 100 deg C is not likely to be more efficient than 95 deg C
You'd be surprised. It makes a difference, especially over 60 minutes. At my elevation water boils at 206*F... I have to compensate for my hop additions.

and the venting steam certainly carries away some of the bitterness.
Nope. Bitter is one of the things we actually taste and is not composed of a collaboration of smells that we perceive as "taste." Boiling just isomerizes more alpha-acids, thus increasing the bitter taste (real taste, not smell taste.)

I tend to think that the flavour and aroma hop additions would be more effective at 95 deg C.
Or you just do a full boil, not have to worry about constantly keeping it at 95 since you'll never go over 100, and add flavor/aroma hops at flameout.

Since when does bitterness get driven off in the boil from the steam. Aroma and Flavor compounds...but the alpha acids are dissolved into the wort...and I really doubt they can be boiled off.

Some people have the equipment and ability to hold the wort at 95 C. for an hour but almost everyone can tell when they have a boil. No special equipment needed and you can't get the temperature too high.

Back