how to make munich malt???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer79

Reaction score
I just have 2 row.I can roast it to chocolate\amber\black...and crystal malt.but how can I make munich malt?thank you!!!!

Does Munich maybe have something to do with how long they let the endosperm grow in malting, and whether they kiln it wet or dry? I also don't know if it's a 2-row or a 6-row.

It's not roasted. It has the same or lower SRM than pilsner and wheat have.
I am thinking about making a dunkelweisen from my favorite Hefe recipe and had the same question.
But making it? I don't know that answer. I have to buy it - if theres a difference.

It has the same or lower SRM than pilsner and wheat have

That is most certainly not true. Weyermann Light Munich is 6 L, Weyermann Pilsners are generally less than 2 L.

Munich malt is made using a special process, it is more intensively kilned than other base malts which results in a darker beer.

Briess makes a 6-row munich malt which they say tastes exactly the same as 2-row, but I've never used it. I don't think many european brewers use 6 row malt.

SRM and lovibond aren't the same thing. there was just a debate on here recently about it. i still don't know if he was right, just sayin.

SRM and lovibond aren't the same thing. there was just a debate on here recently about it. i still don't know if he was right, just sayin.

True, but malt colors are usually measured in degrees lovibond and final beer color is SRM which means standard reference method (I think).

True, but malt colors are usually measured in degrees lovibond and final beer color is SRM which means standard reference method (I think).

yeah. i think thats what they were saying in the thread i read. i don't really know what i was getting at. just adding that because it seemed relevant.:drunk:

i always make my malt from raw barley and i'm sure you can't turn pale malt to munich malt,munich malt kilned at higher temperature and lower ventilation than pale malt.

Irena。are you make your malt at home? would you like tell me how to make munich malt?I can find some barley.thank you!!

Seeing as how the OP is in China, I suspect he does not have access to Munich Malt. So what could one do? Simply toasting it, will just give you, well, toasted malt, which can add great flavor, but not the same as Munich.

I might try soaking the grain in water for say 30 seconds and then spreading it out on a pan in the oven and heating. This should slow down the "toasting" while allowing some of the other chemical (maillaird) reactions to occur. I would, to quote BBQ masters, cook it low and slow. You run the danger of denaturing the enzymes if cooked too hot. Of course this doesn't matter if you use additional base malt to help it convert.

Keep a record, so if it works, you can easily repeat it

To make Munich malt at Home using 2-row Barley and the kitchen Oven :

1- Make green malt

2- Dry the green malt at 100-125F till the moisture gets down to 10% . At 10% moisture , the malt should

weigh about 0.5 oz. (14 g) less per pound (0.45 kg) than your starting weight .

3- Then dry the malt at 140-160F till the moisture is at or below 6% . This will be a little less than 13 oz. (376 g) for

each original pound (0.45 kg) of seed barley .

4- Kiln the malt at 220 °F for 4 Hours and you'll have Munich malt .

Hector

Latest posts

Back