moving lambic out of temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twigboy2000

Reaction score
So I started a batch of lambic this past weekend using one of the SCY bugfarms. It looks like the sacch strains have blown through and the krausen is falling off.

I currently have it sitting in the fermentation freezer on temp control at 62F. I wanted to get opinions on when to move it to ambient. It's currently in the low 50's in my beer room in the garage.

Thanks,
-chuck

So I started a batch of lambic this past weekend using one of the SCY bugfarms. It looks like the sacch strains have blown through and the krausen is falling off.

I currently have it sitting in the fermentation freezer on temp control at 62F. I wanted to get opinions on when to move it to ambient. It's currently in the low 50's in my beer room in the garage.

Thanks,
-chuck

Everything I have read suggests letting the Lambic endure the typical temp swings of a cellar. I have had an Oud Bruin at cellar temp for over 1 1/2 years. The temp swings about 15-20 degrees throughout the year.

Edit: To answer your question. You can move it to wherever you plan on letting it age. AFAIK any esters created from a warm ferment should be consumed during the long secondary fermentation process by bacteria and wild yeast.

Once the sacc is through you can move it. A little warmer would be better but the bugs will still do their thing in the 50's it will just be a little slower. I keep mine between 60-70 but I have the room in the 'ol closet for them.

Latest posts

Back