Alberta bans extra-strong beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here I was considering moving up north. Between the snow and now this, I'll have to reconsider. :p

this is pretty bad, imho...

I can't see how it can be in the public interest to ban beer of + 12% and allow everclear ...maybe this is step one in that direction...where does it end? Cask strength scotch...? Overprrof rum? Heck if 12% beer is out of the question.....can we have 13% wine!?

And there is the biggest argument against bureaucracy, it don't make no sense.

They still have us beat by 6%. :mad:
At the grocery store, sure... but you can get your hands on high gravity stuff at a liquor store. I just picked up a bottle of Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad (11.8%) at a liquor store in Nashville.

When I was up in Waterloo on business, I asked the "liquor control board of so and so" if they had any beer in the 8-10% range as I wanted to kick back after work that night...I thought I had two heads from the look I got...the best I found was a lone dusty bottle of Chimay.

Aside from the lack of bigger beers, with the obscene prices on beer, I wonder how anyone can afford to drink up there (6-pack of miller/coors was $14).

Suffice it to say I was happy to come home :).

Next they will prohibit bars from making frozen daiquiris, Singapore Slings, Stingers, Tequila Sunrise, Harvey Wallbangers, Long Island Iced Tea, and all the other sweet cocktail concoctions that get you hammered before you realize you're hammered.

I think this is a good thing. The public is better off without haphazard beer drinkers buying their "superbeer" and taking it home to drink in the privacy of their own home. I mean, come on, it's for the good of the people!

The only reason people would ever buy that overpriced drunk-juice is to get hammered. Lord knows that wine and liquor won't get you high like 10% beer will! Think of the childrens!

Admit it, people cannot make responsible decisions on their own. They need the wil of the Government to do it for them. I hear that Rainbows and Butterflies will be appearing very soon as the ultimate evil (personal choice) was finally banished! <excited>

type "Four loko" and "banned" into google... I had never heard of this stuff until it got banned, and I'm pretty sure the fact that it got banned is going to make stupid highschool/college kids want it all that much more... man when I was in college we just drank liquor to get hammered, kids today I tell you...

Also from what I hear this stuff is horrible tasting, and drinking it is the first step towards a nasty hangover

Back