What influences taste the most?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What influences flavor the most?

• Malts

• Hops

• Yeast

Results are only viewable after voting.
I say malts. Yeast and hops have an influence but it's the base that has the most influence.

I think it's yeast. While malts and hops definitely define the flavor, I think that yeast is what gives it the personality.

It all depends on what the beer style is. Certain styles place an emphasis on one two or all three of these elements. For instance if you asked what ingredient has the most influence on a Hefe, I would say yeast. For a Scotish ale I would say Malt and for an IPA I would say hops. I did vote for yeast because I have a sensitive pallete to it. Another factor to consider is that we all have different taste perceptions. Some may find an American pale too bitter where as I might not find it bitter enough.

seansbrew said:
It all depends on what the beer style is. Certain styles place an emphasis on one two or all three of these elements. For instance if you asked what ingredient has the most influence on a Hefe, I would say yeast. For a Scotish ale I would say Malt and for an IPA I would say hops. I did vote for yeast because I have a sensitive pallete to it. Another factor to consider is that we all have different taste perceptions. Some may find an American pale too bitter where as I might not find it bitter enough.

You are correct.

The style would determine which has the most influence.

But try to brew a stout with a pale base malt only or a Marzen with nothing but pils malt. How about a Weizen with Belgan Biscuit as 50 % of the mash. It can't be done and taste or look anything like the style you're trying to create.

Now take two Weizen formulas and brew them with different yeasts. Sure, you'll get noticably different flavors because the yeast is a major flavor compenent in this style.

Take any highly hopped beer like an IPA and use Sazz instead of East Kent Goldings. It is drasticly different. Why, because the Hops are the major flavor character of this style.

You sir hit the nail on the head. Good job.

Dude, this is like...hard man! Hops make the beer. Malt makes the beer. Yeast make the beer. Everything has a huge affect.

Whooaa...this is deep stuff bud. Hold on just a second - I'm going to go get another brew. I believe a stout will do in this intellectual moment. I'll be back

Well I'm back with a piece of supreme pizza and a chocolate stout.

The question should be, "With such and such a style, what affects the flavor the most".

I tell you what boys. This old Irish music goes good with the stout and forum.

Bottoms up :)

This is good stuff. In the past, I could not have simple conversations with the members in my brewclub without some arrogant bastard insulting everyone because they did not agree with him. Wait a minute...Arrogant Bastard, I'm thirsty now, gotta go.

Arrogant Bastard, the name says it all!
The hops they are big, but the malts they are small.
It's the beer that you drink when you don't have a date,
And nobody cares if you stagger home late!

I am with seansbrew - the answer is the usual one: "It all depends..."

Since I like very "hoppy" ales, you will not be shocked to know what I picked.

I think its yeast, only because I used to pitch with dry yeast and I've now moved on to the "smack packs". Those same recipes I used to make with dry yeast have vastly improved with liquid yeast cultures.

Also just to be difficult, I think the priming method has something to do with it as well. DME, honey, corn sugar, table sugar, whats it gonna be?

Back