Whirlfloc question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVbrewer

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I did a fairly extensive search of the board posts but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. So thanks for any help.

I brewed a basic bitter about a week and half ago (1.038 og Marris otter, crystal 55, EKG, and fuggles). It's pretty much my house ale. I usually use S-04 but the lhbs was out....so I used nottingham for the first time. They were also out of Irish moss so I used whirlfloc for the first time.

The whirlfloc is quite impressive....super clear wort into the fermentor. I'm just curious if it's normal for some of the coagulant it forms to remain floating on the top even though fermentation is complete (hydrometer readings confirm). Or is that a trait of nottingham. I know it's only been a week and a half but I usually keg at 2 weeks (I like it really fresh). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Dave

I wish I could help you, my last batch of "house beer" had Whirloflac tablet and Knotty for the first time too. I had what looked like small floaties after fermentation as well. Oh well, it carbed up in the keg very nicely and tastes great!

I shake my fermenters every day or so during fermentation process. Not hard, just gently to get the stuff moving about a bit. I found that top floating material will typically drop out after one or two shakes. It also stirs up the yeast in the bottom of the primary a bit and (I believe) helps with better fermentation and FG.

Salute! :mug:

Thanks, I gave it a gentle shake and about half of the floaters dropped out. I think I'll just siphon under the remaining bits and carb it up. Is this normal for whirlfloc, or is it recipe and yeast dependent?

I don't think it has anything to do with Whirlfloc. All my fermentations with 34/70 (Saflager W-34/70 and WLP830) ended with an ice floe pattern of braun hefe scum on top of the beer. Edinburgh left a spongy kraeusen-skeleton behind after it finished my soba ale.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I racked to the keg (carefully to avoid the floating "brains"). Beer tastes great, although the notty dried it out more than the s-04 I usually use. If I have to use notty for this recipe I'll be mashing higher...like 155 instead of 152f.

Back