So I figure I drink 1100 bottles of beer a year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdleedahl

Reaction score
So I figure that I currently drink about 3 beer a day on average... this works out to approximately 1100 bottles of beer a year... call me crazy, how much beer do you drink a year? Figure it out if you have 20 minutes to kill.

I realize that this is not necessarily a great thing, nor am I bragging, but was just surprised at what I figured out. I have the advantage of being 22 and in university which many of you older folks may not.

Anyways heres the way I estimated it...
Assumption #1 -> my supply of home brew stays in equilibrium (which I would say is pretty accurate, I drink it at the rate I make it and usually have about 100 full bottles in my basement at all times)

1. The first 6 months of 2010 I have brewed 6, 23 liter batches which = 138L

Assumption #2 -> this rate of brewing stays relatively constant

2. so in 1 year 138L x 2 = 276L

3. a bottle of home brew is about 330ml (0.33L)

4.so 276L is 836 bottles

5. 836 bottles is 2.3 bottles a day on average

Assumption #3 -> the rate that I give away home brew equals the amount that I receive from friends

6. This is the biggest guess of the whole thing, but I gotta say that just by guessing that I go out to a bar/pub about once a week and very conservatively say I drink 5 beers a week from these places means that 52 weeks x 5 = 208 beer

7. so 836 + 208 = 1044 bottles a year

8. 1044 x 0.055 = 57.4L of alcohol a year if I guess that the average beer is 5.5% alc/vol

Anyways, just though this was interesting and again I am not bragging, just was curious.

- yeah I put 1100 in the thread title because it looked cooler than 1044

I have no idea what amount of beer I drink per year, but a quick estimate from my brewing is about 100-120 gallons. (I'm in the US, I'm not proficient at converting gallons to liters without a calculator handy.) Of course, that doesn't include the beer I buy at the store, at the bar, or at a restaurant, as there is no way to accurately count those.

Depends on how nuts my kids are making me on a particular day...:p

....but definitely average roughly 3 pints per day....

Let's see...

I try not to drink during the week, but I may have a 22oz. bottle between mon-thur.

Fri-sun, I may have 3-4 each day, so that's about 40oz a day or 120oz for the weekend.
Plus the bomber make it 144oz per week.

52 x 144 = 7488, which makes 624 12oz beers.

I can assume a safe round up to about 700 beers a year.

Yeah, I'm almost 40, with 3 kids and a desk job. I can't do 1100 beers a year anymore....

Here's the real question! How many calories from brewskis do you drink in a year?!?

THAT, I don't want to know... :drunk:

WTF kind of math are they teaching up there? If you drink 3 a day that is 1095 beers. What the hell is all the rest of that nonsense?
And anybody who gives away 3 times what they drink is obviously getting drunk off the one beer a day they drink...

WTF kind of math are they teaching up there? If you drink 3 a day that is 1095 beers. What the hell is all the rest of that nonsense?
And anybody who gives away 3 times what they drink is obviously getting drunk off the one beer a day they drink...

this person clearly ignored the bold text saying about and approximately

Let's see...
Here's the real question! How many calories from brewskis do you drink in a year?!?

I was also thinking about this, and lets say at 225 calories a beer this is 1100 x 225 = 247,500 calories

definition of a calorie:
-Unit of heat defined as the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree*centigrade at atmospheric*pressure

1 gram of water = 1mL of water

I know the real brewers on this thread.

About a year or so into brewing my friends all noticed I didn't talk bottles unless I was cleaning, filling, or capping them.

It was twelve oz. servings, if talking abut how much it costs to make.

It was pints, if I was going for a pull, or offering a cold one.

It was gallons if I was talking about how much I had on hand, or drank that night.

So to answer the question:
I average a half a gallon a day, 3 1/2 gallons a week, 15.166 gallons a month, 182 gallons a year. 30 years plus drinking, I have drank close to 5500 gallons of beer (thats just beer).

As for calories, lets say I am 50 lbs over weight.;)

I was drinking far too much, so averaging 3 pints or so a day with a few more at the weekend and a session when guests were over could be anything up to about 8-10 pints.
I had a cholesterol reading done recently and it was very high, so I was advised to cut down, I've done that and my cholesterol has also dropped significantly.
At 39 I can't put it away like I used to, even if I really like to try :)

Some people just like to brew a lot... I brew far more than I drink, because I take a lot to the club-pub and to competitions. If I would only brew to be self-sufficient, I would brew either ridiculously tiny batches, or just 1-2 beers a year. I'm a brewer who drinks, not a drinker who brews.

About 10 years ago I was "asked" to do the full census up in Canada. They ask everything from how much you make to what you spend on toilet paper. Of course the alcohol question came up, and at that time I was playing on 3 baseball teams in the summer, three hockey teams in the winter, and the wife was in night school on Fridays, so I was a full timer at the bar. I could have bought myself a pretty nice car that year with the booze purchases.

I am likely just about 365-500 per year, I really don't know as I can go weeks with none and somedays, 1 a day and sometimes more.

I have actually cut back a ton recently. I was fulfilling some easy incompletes for school and didn't need much focus to get through the classes so I would drink and study after night class. Now I need focus because the material is new, so I'm not drinking with school work. And if you add up the not drinking time each week for work and school it's like 70 hours a week I'm not drinking.

I was drinking far too much, so averaging 3 pints or so a day with a few more at the weekend and a session when guests were over could be anything up to about 8-10 pints.
I had a cholesterol reading done recently and it was very high, so I was advised to cut down, I've done that and my cholesterol has also dropped significantly.
At 39 I can't put it away like I used to, even if I really like to try :)

wimp :D:):)
You would crap at how much we drink while on vacation from dawn till dawn, all high gravity Belgian beers :drunk:
A 44yr old overgrown demented child as the wife calls me with love:p

I too had a wake up re:cholesterol >

12- 21, 2007
Cholesterol 266 with the bad being 185

03-30-2010
Cholesterol 120 - triglycerides 47 - HDL 56 - LDL 55

I didn't change a thing other than take some niacin each morning/evening.
My Dr said 3 beer/day is fine as it has only a tiny effect on cholesterol so get a new Dr:mug:

I was goofing on the fact that it took you a half a page of math to approximate 3x365. I just thought that was funny.

Well I actually figured it out the total number first and then divided by 365 to get a number near 3, just because I wrote 3 first doesn't mean I just came up with than number first. And yes approximations are all that is possible so it must be approximated.

I was also thinking about this, and lets say at 225 calories a beer this is 1100 x 225 = 247,500 calories

definition of a calorie:
-Unit of heat defined as the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree*centigrade at atmospheric*pressure

1 gram of water = 1mL of water

you forgot that Calories in the food industry ( the ones with a capital "C") are Kilocalories.

This is pretty hard to calculate exactly as I live in the land of binge drinkers and am one...kinda...

If I AVERAGE 2 beers a day on work nights and add in a case for the weekend, I would probably come out just about right. The problem is I do not drink a case of beer every weekend so maybe every other...

So then I am averaging 624 for my case every other weekend and 522 for work nights then I am at 1146 beers for the year.The above numbers represent homebrew only, store bought beers would cause an increase in the above numbers.

Are we only counting 12 oz. volume or are we looking at ABV% ? I mean I enjoy a nice imperial brew often so does that count for 2 beers or 1? Also I seem to average most of my homebrews around 5.5% - 6% which is slightly stronger than the average beer...

So, if I take an average range I would prob average 1100-1600 beers a year...:tank:

Also does this include shots? or shots that get dropped into beer, like an Irish Car Bomb? I love car bombs...:mug:

My Dr said 3 beer/day is fine as it has only a tiny effect on cholesterol so get a new Dr:mug:

Not so sure, my values have backed off by simply drinking a hell of a lot less.
I'm doing the right thing, I have a 3 year old and want to live to see him at least reach 18......

Not so sure, my values have backed off by simply drinking a hell of a lot less..

You said

I have 3 beers a day (not counting when we have keg killing parties) , good FRESH food, lots of veggies along with exercise and you can't dispute my blood test >every 6 months and the numbers all are better than great, incl. blood sugar.

Next 1 is late aug. after vacation(lots rich food/gallons of beer) and I'll be smoking like a dope fiend while in Amsterdam. I expect Cholesterol 120-140.

So I would bet it was alot more than 3/day:confused: Hows your weight?

I'm doing the right thing, I have a 3 year old and want to live to see him at least reach 18......

I am sure you are doing the right thing, and all. Just remember the "Buffalo Theory.":D

I'll explain:

"Well you see, EoinMag, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive drinking of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, EoinMag, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

FYI to anyone who thinks Norm said this....He didn't it was an Urban Legend. I looked everywhere for the clip. I must have turned a few pints up while watching that series (Cheers) and could have sworn I saw Cliff say that to Norm.

Well, I have about 11 cornies and 100 bottles of meads and ciders in my pipeline...and I bottle in 1/2 liter bottles...:mug:

I brew about 200 gals a year...almost every year...

Truth is I only feel bad about it when I have to lie to my cardiologist twice a year about my alcohol consumption...:mug:;)

You said

I have 3 beers a day (not counting when we have keg killing parties) , good FRESH food, lots of veggies along with exercise and you can't dispute my blood test >every 6 months and the numbers all are better than great, incl. blood sugar.

Next 1 is late aug. after vacation(lots rich food/gallons of beer) and I'll be smoking like a dope fiend while in Amsterdam. I expect Cholesterol 120-140.

So I would bet it was alot more than 3/day:confused: Hows your weight?

My weight is not so bad, I'm a bit overweight but not morbidly obese or anything.
Well the thing is, recommendations presently stand at 21 units a week for men, 3 pints a day works out already at twice that, not counting the ramp up at the weekend to possibly 10 units a day.

I'm talking real imperial 20oz pints, not 16oz US pints. Somedays it's two pints, some days it's four and the weekend then more...

Different livers deal with different amounts of alcohol differently, so there is no safe cut off point really and what's good for you is not necessarily good for someone else, but I was definitely twice what would be recommended as a healthy alcohol intake and cutting down was the way to go.

Okay, so if we translated 12oz beers into miles, and I took off from say . . . Los Angeles, then I'd land in the ocean just short of London, England.

Or, to them, getting drunk is not as important as brewing beer.

It doesn't have to be one end of the stick or the other.

Perhaps one day I will find the joy in spending 5-6 hours of my time on a hobby mainly for the enjoyment of others, but it won't be anytime soon.

Back