Glass Carboy Defects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nl724

Reaction score
Okay...so just recently I bought a 5 gallon glass carboy from my LHBS and as I was trying to clean it I found a particle stuck to the inside. Upon further inspection I noticed that the particle wasn't just stuck, but it was actually half inside/half outside the glass on the inside of the carboy...like it had been manufactured that way. I am not sure what it is, but it is hard and pretty small otherwise I would have noticed it at the LHBS shop.

Do you guys think this particle will cause any infection problems during fermentation? Will it collect bacteria similar to the way that a large scratch would on a plastic fermenter?

demand a quality product and take it back, the LHBS will get credit from their distributor.

I lost the receipt...so if they don't take it back maybe I will just use it and if I have trouble then pitch it.

nl724 said:
I lost the receipt...so if they don't take it back maybe I will just use it and if I have trouble then pitch it.

If your shop is a small place, and you have gotten to know the people, explain it to them. If they do not take it back.....you know your options.

Well they should take you at face value, imo if they want a good customer relationship. It's not like you are in there every day saying "oh hey this is defective"....

The glass carboys from Mexico are suicide bombs in my opinion. The new ones even with Brewhaulers , milk crates and other containment devices will fracture shock ( break not from being dropped just from the weight of the liquid moving around as it is moved when filled and when moving.

As a Chemist I have not broke a single piece of glass wear in 12 years including micro thin pipettes, vacuum tubes, flasks... , yet I broke 2 glass carboys in 2 weeks ( I did contain them in padded plastic bins that contained the entire carboy as I did not trust them - NOT Milk Crates which offer no protection from this phenomena ).

If you want to go glass get the older better quality carboys. I went to a better bottle system, just easier.. lighter.. etc.

Yeah...so I returned the carboy and they did an even exchange. Even though this sounds fair, the carboy that I got in return also had many negligible imperfections in the glass. One of them was similar to the imperfection the original carboy had. Its seems like the carboys from Mexico are really cheap! If anyone can find a really good private supplier let me know becuase I think most LHBS sell the same ones.

Back