Local beer swap-o-rama!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are we going to know to who or where our packages are coming from before they arrive? I go back & forth about wanting to know, a surprise is great but the anticipation would kill me!!!

Also we need to make sure people use iTrader feedback too, can we add that to the rules? (similar to MAW)

Yes to the iTrader, great idea! You will not know who is shipping to you.

I'm really stoked to be a part of this!! I love trying and sharing new beers but don't always want to do big ticket trades. Thanks TheMan for putting this together!

I was planning on shipping bombers. There are very few craft beers sold in cans here.

I'll probably ship cans with some bottles too. Love IPA if I don't get your package I might be PMing you for a trade. Love the West coast IPAs and can't get them all in Illinois!

Sounds good, especially if you can get me some Three Floyds brews. :)

dotJerdot said:
I thought being generous was a big part in what will make this a success. I can't wait to pick everything out for this, it will be a fun trip to a few stores.

That's what I was thinking too!

I thought being generous was a big part in what will make this a success. I can't wait to pick everything out for this, it will be a fun trip to a few stores.

oh it is, and you are more than welcome to send how you see fit. 9 bombers will get pretty expensive, but if that is what you want then feel free, the guy who recieves your package will be a lucky fellow!

Also would like to extend thanks to TheMan for putting this together. Your name is deserved!

Out of curiosity how are you planning to do the random assignments to who ships where?

Love that this has the makings of something really special. I know I personally have a few fancy items to include instead of just the normal local goodies.

Thanks again for getting this going.

Also would like to extend thanks to TheMan for putting this together. Your name is deserved!

Out of curiosity how are you planning to do the random assignments to who ships where?

Good question. And the answer is simple. Putting all our names in a hat of course! Should a participant from a state get another from his own, he gets a redo. After all is done I plan to examine the results and if there is someone that is too close to his sender, I'll make adjustments as needed. I want to make it as easy as possible on the sender.

Also, I just took the idea from another board. I noticed we had nothing like it and thought the guys and gals here would be all up for it. Glad you guys are as pumped as I am!

Without further adieu.................the final list!

1) theman
2) jaydog2314
3) coldcrash
4) 427cobra
5) dotjerdot
6) tankcrash
7) bigmike99
8) drphunk
9) ZamaMan
10) Lovesipas

If you don't see your name, and I missed it, please let me know.

I am posting this list on the First Post of the Thread for easy finding. If you guys can send me your addresses via PM that would be great. I will be sending PM's to everyone requesting this, but I assume some of you might beat me to it. I'm hoping to get them all and do the drawing tomorrow. And then have you your recipients by Tomorrow night or Saturday morning.

Thanks again for joining guys!

I'm in Seattle and think I have some good ideas of what to send, but what would your guys suggestions be? I'm a reformed bud light drinker and don't have that much experience with what is crave worthy.

If you guys can send me a style preference list with your address I will give that to the sender as well.

Good question tankcrash!

tankcrash said:
I'm in Seattle and think I have some good ideas of what to send, but what would your guys suggestions be? I'm a reformed bud light drinker and don't have that much experience with what is crave worthy.

Well IPA is a style that's been mentioned a few times in this thread. But I'd imagine most participants would be open to anything as long as its craft beer, local to you, and not available in their area.

coldcrash said:
Well IPA is a style that's been mentioned a few times in this thread. But I'd imagine most participants would be open to anything as long as its craft beer, local to you, and not available in their area.

Agreed. Also just realized you are up in MAW too. You get around! Your fridge is going to be packed.

Mainly make sure it's quality local beer, mix a few styles. Do some research in your area, this may help you find new brews for yourself also.

I'm excited to take part in round two should there be one. I enjoy the element of surprise when trading.

I'm excited to take part in round two should there be one. I enjoy the element of surprise when trading.

I agree. I've been closely watching MAW for weeks just hoping to get in on that action but sadly I haven't been able to. I see this as a GREAT alternative, some fun trading with MASSIVE packages(insert joke here) being shared! Plus an awesome chance to try some beers I can not normally have and to share the wealth!

I feel really bad for whomever gets my package (insert joke here). The beer that I am planning on sending will force them to move to my area. I can't wait to hook someone up!

dotJerdot said:
I feel really bad for whomever gets my package (insert joke here). The beer that I am planning on sending will force them to move to my area. I can't wait to hook someone up!

That's awesome!

It's time for me to thank you all! You guys are awesome! What I imagined being the most difficult part, getting all your addresses, was so simple.

I can't thank you all enough for making it that easy. I have done the drawing and will start sending pm to everyone with recipient address. To make it more interesting, I am not even going to give you the persons hbt name. You will not even know who you are actually shipping to. This should make it even better! There are three il guys, a couple pa guys, and even two cali guys. So you won't know which of them you are shipping to. And the best part, no one even drew a name that was from the same state. So I didn't have to modify the drawing at all, I didn't think this would happen.

Lastly, please please please, triple check that your recipient does not get the beer if it is at all possible that they could get it. I'll get addresses to you ASAP, and please remember to have it in their hands by June 7. The sooner the better, but we all know life happens and sometimes we can't ship as planned. Which is why we have two weeks to get it there.

Not sure if you guys need to, but should I have you all send me your tracking numbers? Or just leave it all to you?

So pumped!! Yeah I think sending tracking info to TheMan is a good idea just so he can see if anyone is having trouble getting their package out ( lots of package jokes) and could potential send a gentle reminder. But not gonna be upset if everyone thinks its a hassle or something to send tracking numbers.

TheMan said:
Not sure if you guys need to, but should I have you all send me your tracking numbers? Or just leave it all to you?

I think this is a good idea.

And if you were to send tracking info to each recipient, that would keep it anonymous but still allow recipients to know when to expect their package.

I think this is a good idea.

And if you were to send tracking info to each recipient, that would keep it anonymous but still allow recipients to know when to expect their package.

That sounds good. I will send my tracking info to one person though...I don't want people deducing who is getting a package based on my shipment info lol plus, the person shipping to me would know who he shipped to.

I'll pick someone that is not involved in an Illinois shipment.

im down for some random, smaller local beer swaps if anyone is interested. I think the wife would kill me if i sent out this much (shipping would be what, like $50-60? maybe in a different thread?

Yeah I'm not looking forward to seeing shipping costs but cans will help out in the weight dept.

Ha yeah I committed to this prior to talking to wife and after I just spent $150 on ingredients so was a little nervous to tell her about it. As always she was cool with it. Lucked out with her.

Oh boy just got my recipient!! Can't wait to go to bottle shop this weekend.

Ok, everyone should have their recipient. Let the search begin! I'll have mine shipped out by next Wednesday I think!

And just an fyi, I wanted to try to help alleviate shipping costs for people by matching them with closer addresses, but aside from the 3 in Illinois, it was either west coast or east coast. We had no other middle America participants.

Oh I can't wait to send mine out. This is the list I get to pick from. Hope it doesn't give it away too much who I've got. I'm just super excited the list is so large. Had to share.

image-943610283.jpg

Oh I can't wait to send mine out. This is the list I get to pick from. Hope it doesn't give it away too much who I've got. I'm just super excited the list is so large. Had to share.

Make sure you are very sure something is not distroed elsewhere. Some guys earlier pointed out to me that seekabrew didn't report their state as getting finchs beer, but they do. I will probably not atop saying this, so you guys will just have to deal with it lol

Could probably just look at their website. There is always a chance for error, I just want to beat it into people's skulls haha.

Yeah it's tough some local breweries around here don't have that info on their website so I have emails into them asking where they are distributed. Will call them if I don't hear back in a few days. Even though seekabrew says every local brewery to me is not distributed in my recipients state I want to make sure.

Back