Dat Gabbagool stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yup capicola, started it today and ordered the casings so they should be here in a few days, well b4 I need them. Thinking I gonna make a sweet style instead of the hot style.

So far the hardest part is finding a competent butcher who can figure out wtf you want... After 3 stores and a meat service I said fawk it and just bought the shoulders and cut out my own coppas (you dont even want to see what the guy at the meat service did to the fat back :eek:, guess I got fat for sausage now :smack: )

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2007/10/coppa-butchery-how-to-harvest-one.html

OK anyway here they are, using just a basic sugar/salt cure...normally I use brown sugar but my back is hurting today and didnt feel like bending over to get the brown sugar
600581_10200090801424506_1468600293_n.jpg

let them cure for 9 days then I'll post a update (yes this is as much for my record keeping as showing you guys

Where do you order your stuff from? Butcher and Packer? I'm really lucky, they're a Detroit based company, so I get to run over there anytime I need something.

I've been thinking about a capicola as well. Are you going to spice it when going into the casings? What recipes are you using?

Where do you order your stuff from? Butcher and Packer?
yupper

I've been thinking about a capicola as well. Are you going to spice it when going into the casings? What recipes are you using?
after 18 days of curing I'm gonna spice it up and then case it, tie it, and hang it.

Using the recipe found in "Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" Going the sweet route instead of the spicy. The wife thinks ketchup has too much ZING to it :p

also ordered some starter and mold so will be doing a salume and peperon in the very near future

Alright, that's it! I'm ordering that book and curing some meat. Just what I need, another hobby tangent... The MRS is going to love this.

:mug:

Seriously though, the only thing that worries me is where to hang the meat. Any suggs?

Seriously though, the only thing that worries me is where to hang the meat. Any suggs?

got a cool basement corner?

ok So here we go . . . Was out running around and picked up some plastic sheeting and a humidifier (10x15 roll of 3.5 mil). Assembled myself a small curing "room" in the corner of the basement since I was having problems keeping my humidity at 60%

530560_4757184379236_1369179007_n.jpg

small 3x5 area plastic lined on 2 sides cement block on the other 2... right where I have the ham hanging (no thats not the humidifier)

Today is hanging day and what a day it's been....

Before I started I realized I was low on butchers twine so I headed out to get some.... On the way I realized I was broke because I paid dues at the firehouse so had to hit a ATM... Then the wife called and I had to swing by the firehouse to get some stuff I had there... then she wanted me to get some **** for the kid... needless to say instead of being done right after breakfast I just finished now.... just in time to start dinner >.<

Anyway doing 1 hot and 1 sweet
887024_10200229843100461_2082491756_o.jpg

biggest issue I ran into was I screwed up when I ordered my casings and they were too small so I had to improvise....
after some research I found a method using wood shims and zip ties sooooooooooooooooo
882896_10200229843980483_1032097459_o.jpg

Just have to keep cinching down the ties as the meat drys but since I have to add water to the humidifier ever couple days thats no biggie.
So guess I'll be posting again sometime in May

Back