Jolly Pumpkin dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
I amd e a batch of BW (didn't work out the best form me, lol) and used the second runings and some DME to make another smaller batch of BW that same day. It did not ferment out the way it should have and now has a nice pellicle on it so I decided to dump in some JP dregs, any idea how long I should wait on tasting again? I assume there is some Sach in those dregs no?

The dregs from the jp bottles are usually a yeast blend WLP500 and some other yeast, since jp beers are all keg/ bottle conditioned. Not saying that various other wild yeasts aren't in there... but the majority of it is simply the remains from priming.

JP uses WLP550. There may not be any alive in the bottle. Even if there is, pitching dregs will not give you much yeast. You need to add some other yeast.

The dregs will have some Brett, lacto, and Pedio, but it's going to take a year to seen anything decent from them.

I got a pretty strong lactic character from the JP dregs I pitched into a hibiscus saison after about a month. Granted, the bottle was only a month and a half old, but still. You do not need to wait years and years for funky/sour character from fresh dregs.

Calder- thank you for the correction, you're right. However, recently they switched to T-58. Letting the dregs warm to room temp., add a little fresh wort, agitate, then making a starter works wonderfully... a friend of mine made one that way... you get the full spectrum of pedio, lacto, brett. he said. If you just dump the dregs right in, the other wild bacteria probably wont take off.

When I used JP dregs they seemed to work pretty quickly. I had a split batch of sour cherry porter that ended up souring in about 3-4 months with Bier de Mars dregs and the other half took about 6 months with Bam Noire dregs. The one with the Bam Noire is probably the best funky beer I have made. It has a nice leathery funk and a decent lactic sourness.

JP dregs do sour very quickly, i have a 3 gallon carboy with JP dregs that i pour leftover wort into at the end of my brew sessions, after 2-3 months it was extremely sour.

@dcHokie: yes, but with the caveat that there were dregs from 5 or 6 other sour beers added in the beginning as well. We inoculated a brown ale after doing primary with a clean yeast, then transferred to a used bourbon barrel to inoculate the barrel. Now we run sours through the barrel, which is holding up nicely as a reservoir for the bugs.

@dcHokie: yes, but with the caveat that there were dregs from 5 or 6 other sour beers added in the beginning as well. We inoculated a brown ale after doing primary with a clean yeast, then transferred to a used bourbon barrel to inoculate the barrel. Now we run sours through the barrel, which is holding up nicely as a reservoir for the bugs.

Good to hear. Some of the JP-spiked beers I've done have been bracingly sour, but I'm getting ready to package a sour saison that is quite nice and I'll likely reuse a portion of that cake for another sour this weekend.

Back