American IPA Stone Ruination Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@yooper

what would be the conversion for a 10 or 15 gallon batch? i just started all-graining and im sorry for my ignorance

Double the grain bill.

I doubled the hops but wasn't coming up with as much IBU's. Strange, usually more volume get's better utilization, but this is what I came up with:

10G

28lbs. 2-row
2lbs. C20

3.75 @ 60
2.5 @ 30
2.5 @ 10
2.5 @ 1
4 @ dry

Spot on OG today, 1.074! I have so much hop gunk in my sample I'm not going to drink it. But really excited about this one. I'll post later bottled results. Cheers!

So I am going to make a 5 gallon DME batch of this in a few days. The question is, do I make a big starter with WLP007 (like Stone uses) or Pacman 1764? I have both in the fridge. I've read people were getting near 80% with both. After reading, I am not so sure--what do you guys think?

I actually used WLP001 for mine. My starter is no larger than a liter, usually smaller and it takes off in about 6 hours.

Personally o don't think you really want more than about 80%....You want to leave SOME malt flavor.

I have read that you can. I have thought about giving a shot. I'm thinking that harvesting from the "regular" IPA might be best though. I've seen a few bombers in a local store that look to have a nice layer in the bottom.

I just racked this to secondary after two weeks in primary and the gravity was 1.020, (og. 1.080). It's starting to get a little cold in my basement so I moved all of my carboys upstairs. I just wanted to get it off the recycled Wyeast 1272 yeast cake it's been sitting on and into a new clean carboy. Do you guys think the gravity might drop some now that it's a little bit warmer even though it's in secondary? It tastes like it will be good either way.

This is fantastic thanks for the recipe. I will be brewing this often.

runination-57376.jpg

How will the profile of this beer change if mashing at 154 instead of 152?

Two primary way's

1. More mouth feel and a little less dry
2. Slighly less abv.

The lower the mash temp say up to around 150* will produce smaller more fermentable sugars.

The higher the mash temp 155* to 167* will produce larger and less fermentable sugars.

Two primary way's

1. More mouth feel and a little less dry
2. Slighly less abv.

The lower the mash temp say up to around 150* will produce smaller more fermentable sugars.

The higher the mash temp 155* to 167* will produce larger and less fermentable sugars.

Thanks, Thats what I figured. Last 3 times I made this i was mashing around 150. I didnt take the actual temp just used a calculation and thats what im assuming I got. The beer blew off... this time I took the temps and it was 154 for 60 mins... My OG was @ 1.056. Fermented nice, but no blow off. Same yeast as ive been using in the past (WL-SD Super yeast). Ill know in a week when i rack it to dry hop where my FG is at...

Vomtaylor said:
Thanks, Thats what I figured. Last 3 times I made this i was mashing around 150. I didnt take the actual temp just used a calculation and thats what im assuming I got. The beer blew off... this time I took the temps and it was 154 for 60 mins... My OG was @ 1.056. Fermented nice, but no blow off. Same yeast as ive been using in the past (WL-SD Super yeast). Ill know in a week when i rack it to dry hop where my FG is at...

I think it will be good.

I've never seen bottles of Ruination that had much sediment in them. I've seem some of their "regular" IPA with a good amount. I was planning to try scavenging some from a few of those bombers.

I may give it a try.

How the heck would I know of I have yeast in the bottom of my starter or if it's just the starter wort sediment?
Take a gravity reading, I guess?

Wow. Very good indeed! I used 05 for the yeast, it was what i had, and Columbus instead of magnum, other then that i stayed true to the recipee. Will defiantly make this again.

Mine turned out really nice with the Pacman. While I dry hopped for 1 week with 2oz cascade and 1 oz of Chinook, it doesn't seem like enough to me. My only regret is that I didn't double dry hop this bad boy. Will rebrew with a few alterations, and 2x dry hop next time. All in all, Great brew!

So here's my partial mash BIAB recipe for this Ruination Clone. I plugged into into beer smith and everything looks good except it keeps predicting a FG 1.017 instead of the 1.012 to I'm looking for. I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm assuming it has to do with amount of fermentables that beersmith is assuming I'll get out of my mash, or what they have listed for the yield for the grains?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm a noob.

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 65.5 %
11.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.8 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 28.7 %
2.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 101.3 IBUs
1.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 5 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35.49 ml] Yeast 6 -
2.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.2 %
Bitterness: 106.5 IBUs
Est Color: 9.9 SRM

Mash

60 minutes at 152 in 15.5 quarts
Dunk Sparge for 10 minutes in 4 quarts

Combine w/ DME and boil for 90 adding hops at prescribed times

Add water into fermenter to make 5 gal(hop calculations are taking this into account, i hope)

So here's my partial mash BIAB recipe for this Ruination Clone. I plugged into into beer smith and everything looks good except it keeps predicting a FG 1.017 instead of the 1.012 to I'm looking for. I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm assuming it has to do with amount of fermentables that beersmith is assuming I'll get out of my mash, or what they have listed for the yield for the grains?

Software simply guestimates a % of the OG, and doesn't take into account the ingredients or the fermentability of the ingredients. You can ignore any FG predictions from any software.

All,

I am new to brewing and wanted to make this for a buddy that took my son hunting. I am set up for Extract on a 6.5 gal turkey fryer and have a few questions:

1) Hops: All the recipes I see are for partial boils. Should I back off the amount of hops because I am doing a full boil??? and still split the recipe 4lb (60 min) & 4 lb (flameout)???
2) Yeast: I don't know how to do a starter but am planning on using a Pacman Wyeast smacpac. SHould I picth 2 instead r will one do OK? I have not had problems in the past, but my OG was 1.06 before on other recipes.
3) On the crystal, should I buy milled/crushed or uncrushed??

Thanks Folks!

Bad Deacon

All,

I am new to brewing and wanted to make this for a buddy that took my son hunting. I am set up for Extract on a 6.5 gal turkey fryer and have a few questions:

1) Hops: All the recipes I see are for partial boils. Should I back off the amount of hops because I am doing a full boil??? and still split the recipe 4lb (60 min) & 4 lb (flameout)???
2) Yeast: I don't know how to do a starter but am planning on using a Pacman Wyeast smacpac. SHould I picth 2 instead r will one do OK? I have not had problems in the past, but my OG was 1.06 before on other recipes.
3) On the crystal, should I buy milled/crushed or uncrushed??

Thanks Folks!

Bad Deacon

You want all grains crushed.
You should use the recipe hops with a full boil.
You should use 2 and a half brand new smack packs or 4 average aged packs. :drunk: A starter is pretty much needed. You can try 2 packets of us-05 instead if you can.

Thanks! I think I might need to jump into starters sooner than later! I used safale-5 with my first brew but had trouble with temp on day 3.

I see a temp control for the extra fridge and extra carboys in my new near future! This startup coat is killing me!

BadDeacon said:
Thanks! I think I might need to jump into starters sooner than later! I used safale-5 with my first brew but had trouble with temp on day 3.

I see a temp control for the extra fridge and extra carboys in my new near future! This startup coat is killing me!

I used two vials when I made mine, took it about 12 hrs to start. Should use a starter next time, but two vials were fine in a pinch.

I've been holding off on brewing IPAs for when I could do full wort boils. Got a 10 gallon brew pot for Christmas so I'm ordering ingredients for this now. I can't wait to try it.

I tried one for the first time last night. Seemed a little "green" and it hasn't carbed up properly yet. There is a slight hiss and larger head bubbles, but it was sitting since bottling --3 weeks--at about 50 degrees (so I moved it into the laundry room where it is a bit warmer). My initial impression is it tastes very resinous with a nice caramel note. Its definitely a DIPA and I can't help but think that some age will improve this considerably (maybe about a month or so). It tastes to me "bigger" than the 8% that it is--more like a Barleywine. As I sipped it, I kept thinking it had more of the flavor of SN Bigfoot rather than Ruination--but I must admit...its pretty tasty. I will crack one in a few weeks with an update.

TF

Getting ready to finish this one up shortly. OG was 1.076 and FG is 1.010. On the fence between kegging and bottling. Will sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

SoCalMark said:
Getting ready to finish this one up shortly. OG was 1.076 and FG is 1.010. On the fence between kegging and bottling. Will sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

I racked to secondary a few days ago, my gravity sample read about 1.024, did you notice this too. It's been in primary for 3-4 weeks.
I have never done a beer this big, I know they take longer though.

Mine actually came in pretty close to my FG out of primary (two weeks). Did you use a yeast starter? I've noticed significantly better results since I started making starters, especially for the big beers. Hope it comes into shape soon!

SoCalMark said:
Mine actually came in pretty close to my FG out of primary (two weeks). Did you use a yeast starter? I've noticed significantly better results since I started making starters, especially for the big beers. Hope it comes into shape soon!

I didn't have time to use a starter, but I did pitch two packs.
Eh, I'll check it in a few days, if it's still the same, bottle it. If not I'll let her ride.
Thanks!

Starters are my New Years plans, I've been meaning to get into them. No reason not to!

keg it, let it carb up, bottle a few 6ers off the full keg and leave the rest.

I am thinking about making a ruination clone for my next batch and have been looking up recipes. All of the extract recipes I have found seem to be light on the extract(dry or liquid) I have plugged a bunch (including BYO, and several from this post)of them into Beercalculus and can never get the OG to be calculated up past 1.070, while the recipes call out anywhere from 1.072-1.077. Am I missing something? Beer calculus is set up for a 5 gal batch with a 5.6gal boil volume.

First, I would look to adjust the batch volume up. A five gallon batch is going to leave with little, if any, over 4 after fermenting and dry hopping. I usually shoot for 5.5 into the fermenter and maybe even more when dry hopping. Also, in my experience, I lie a lot more than .6 gals during boil, in combination of evaporation and trub loss. This beer has a lot of hops added which will absorb a good amount if fluid, the majority of which should probably be left out if the fermenter.

SoCalMark said:
My hydro sample. Tastes fantastic!

Mine came down to 1.010 finally, and the hydro sample tasted really good too! I put it in the fridge and will try some more tomorrow.
Excited about this one, it might be better than the real thing!

This weekend I did a Columbus/Centennial version of this. Pacman yeast chewing through it at 59F!

ForumRunner_20130114_130025.jpg

Back