Label Peelers says longer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My order has shipped. I'm happy now. Hey bottlebomber, thanks for telling me how I am suppose to feel about this whole thing. :confused:

graduate said:
My order has shipped. I'm happy now. Hey bottlebomber, thanks for telling me how I am suppose to feel about this whole thing. :confused:

I never did though did I. Personally I couldn't care less if you got so mad you decided to never buy hops again *shrug*

bottlebomber said:
I never did though did I. Personally I couldn't care less if you got so mad you decided to never buy hops again *shrug*

+1 More hops for us eh bottlebomber? I don't think you told him how to feel either.

KarlHungus76 said:
+1 More hops for us eh bottlebomber? I don't think you told him how to feel either.

I just think when this kind of feeding frenzy mentality gets going like it evidently has with the new delicious hops, huge number of brewers, and limited supply it's easy to get emotional about it. I know I was a little worried at first until I was able to get a little communication with the company, and realized that 1. They were doing the best they can, and 2. I was promised to get the hops I payed for. Now if I had payed for hops, didn't get them, and missed out on deals elsewhere I would be pretty pissed and want some kind of compensation for bad business. So far I fortunately haven't heard anyone having that experience. This was my first experience with Label Peelers but I will definitely be doing this again next year if they offer it. If I seem a little overly vocal it's because I love that they did this because I don't have time to sit there checking on websites to order what I need before it sells out, and I am a patient person. Waiting a couple months for prime hops is no big deal to me. I just don't want it to be that there are so many people bitching that they decide to not do this anymore.

mine shipped too - 2 lbs citra, 2 lbs falconers flight. I will go through label peelers again if they do the preorders. Like some others have mentioned - my #1 priority was getting the hops I wanted, not speed of delivery. Glad they are on their way though - just used my last 4 ounces of falconers flight today.

bottlebomber said:
I just think when this kind of feeding frenzy mentality gets going like it evidently has with the new delicious hops, huge number of brewers, and limited supply it's easy to get emotional about it. I know I was a little worried at first until I was able to get a little communication with the company, and realized that 1. They were doing the best they can, and 2. I was promised to get the hops I payed for. Now if I had payed for hops, didn't get them, and missed out on deals elsewhere I would be pretty pissed and want some kind of compensation for bad business. So far I fortunately haven't heard anyone having that experience. This was my first experience with Label Peelers but I will definitely be doing this again next year if they offer it. If I seem a little overly vocal it's because I love that they did this because I don't have time to sit there checking on websites to order what I need before it sells out, and I am a patient person. Waiting a couple months for prime hops is no big deal to me. I just don't want it to be that there are so many people bitching that they decide to not do this anymore.

Hopefully they will do this next year, I will certainly order from them again. This was new for them and I'm sure they didn't expect the massive amount of orders once it got posted on this forum. I certainly don't like stalking websites to try to get a pound of hops when they release them little by little and I don't like paying $30 for 8oz from the big online homebrew sites when I need them in June.

Just got confirmation that my # of citra and Amarillo have shipped. It took longer then expected but I'm a happy customer. Being able to pre-order was worth the wait for me since I didn't have to sit around refreshing another vendors website all day trying to snag the hops I wanted.

KarlHungus76 said:

Make that +2. I'm going to go check the place out on my way to visit the GDR's in Akron. Can't say I'd complain if someone's canceled citra order is sitting in the cooler.

I just got my shipping notice as well - looking forward to making some Pliney and Kern River Citra goodness. Based on BB's description of the product, it seems like it'll be worth the wait.

Got am email from the guy Matt (dont know him personally but appears to be an owner i think) and he said they will do it again next year, however they will put in big bold letters that they cannot guarantee timing. They shipped 800 orders from in last 48 hours.

Got am email from the guy Matt (dont know him personally but appears to be an owner i think) and he said they will do it again next year, however they will put in big bold letters that they cannot guarantee timing. They shipped 800 orders from in last 48 hours.

Wow, that's a ton of hops. Good enough reason to put up with emails for a while. Imagining they shipped anywhere from 1600-3200 pounds of hops in 2 days, that's crazy.

Mine shipped today. I really don't know if I would order from them again. I completely understand the mess they got themselves into, but the bottom line is they created it. A simple email listing the problems would of worked wonders for them. Communication is the key. With the email update this thread would not exist. Plain and simple.

Youorderhasbeenshipped-lewybrewinggmailcom-Gmail2012-12-1007-17-43.png

Got my shipping notification for my amarillo! worth the wait. I think they handled this just fine. Ill order from them again.

Got my shipping notification for my amarillo! worth the wait. I think they handled this just fine. Ill order from them again.

Agreed. We created the mess w/ OUR demand for citra and other proprietary hops. Brew something else or stock up for the year and you won't be concerned w/ a month of waiting.

If someone pre-ordered hops and was told they would be unable to fulfill their order then that would be reason for complaint and a completely different story. Happy brewing.

Today my order from LabelPeelers which was submitted on Nov 23rd was delivered by FedEx. All was good except the 8oz of Citra leaf hops were missing from the box. There wasn't a note on the invoice sheet so I called their contact phone number and actually spoke with one of their employees. I left my order number and they said they would call me to let me know when the Citra would be shipping. 15 minutes later they called back to let me know that a new shipment was being picked up in the morning and the missing items will be on the way ASAP.

Just wanted to pass along my experience dealing with LabelPeelers during the new crop hops feeding frenzy, overall it has been positive.

Much ado about nothing. I received my full shipment of preorder yesterday.

Although the timing of what they said would happen an what did happen was different, overall I would have no qualms with doing it next year.

Got mine today, a pound each of Centennial, Simcoe, & Amarillo. Now I'm wishing I'd ordered some others and will probably do so in the next day or two.

Yup got mine today. I was just getting a little worried they might not be able to fill the order but I am happy to have received everything I ordered.

Grrrr - thwarted by the (fedex) man! :mad: I threw a Barolo kit onto my order at the last minute, and Fedex refuses to deliver without an adult signature. Not that I can do anything with the hops between now and then, but I still want them in my house.

Looks like I'll be picking them up on Friday!

This has nothing to do with Label Peelers per say - I'm just an ijt.

Mine came in yesterday and I picked them up from the apt office today! 1# Citra/Amarillo.

:off: (kinda)

How long do these hopunion bags stay fresh? Is it better to leave the pellets in these until I use them (no idea when) or vacuum seal them (these are definitely not vacuumed sealed, although I swear last time I got them in these bags they were, but perhaps I was mistaken)?

Mine came in yesterday and I picked them up from the apt office today! 1# Citra/Amarillo.

How long do these hopunion bags stay fresh? Is it better to leave the pellets in these until I use them (no idea when) or vacuum seal them (these are definitely not vacuumed sealed, although I swear last time I got them in these bags they were, but perhaps I was mistaken)?

The hop union bags are nitrogen flushed which is far better than vaccum sealed.

Leave them in the hop union bags until you use them and keep them at a cold and stable temperature. From my understanding a self defrosting freezer is not your best option because of the warming that takes place when defrosting. I currently use a vegetable crisper drawer, because it my best option until I get a chest freezer Im actually going to use as its intended.

^^ Gotcha. Thanks!

I laughed at the "use as its intended". I too have a chest freezer, but its used as not intended. :D

theBFG said:

Honestly the best thing to do is break each pound into 4 ounce bags and seel-o-meal the bags. You won't typically be using more than 4 ounces of one variety so this had been working well for me.

The hop union bags are nitrogen flushed which is far better than vaccum sealed.

Leave them in the hop union bags until you use them and keep them at a cold and stable temperature. From my understanding a self defrosting freezer is not your best option because of the warming that takes place when defrosting. I currently use a vegetable crisper drawer, because it my best option until I get a chest freezer Im actually going to use as its intended.
The defrost cycle does not warm up the food in your freezer in the manner you are suggesting. If the defrost cycle worked in the manner you're alluding to, all of your food items would be ruined because they would continually melt and refreeze and your ice cubes would melt and then refreeze into a giant block. The vegetable crisper in your refrigerator portion is inferior because the temperature is simply higher. Even assuming for the sake of argument that the temperature of the hops themselves really did fluctuate like that, it wouldn't create the kind of damage you would have to food from that because pellet hops have almost no retained moisture - i.e. they do not conventionally "freeze."

The defrost cycle does not warm up the food in your freezer in the manner you are suggesting. If the defrost cycle worked in the manner you're alluding to, all of your food items would be ruined because they would continually melt and refreeze and your ice cubes would melt and then refreeze into a giant block. The vegetable crisper in your refrigerator portion is inferior because the temperature is simply higher. Even assuming for the sake of argument that the temperature of the hops themselves really did fluctuate like that, it wouldn't create the kind of damage you would have to food from that because pellet hops have almost no retained moisture - i.e. they do not conventionally "freeze."

Actually the defrost cycle does work as I suggest, hence freezer burn on the outside of foods, and the large blocks of ice cubes after extended periods of not using your ice dispenser.

As far as temperature fluctuation being bad for hop storage in self defrosting freezers, that come straight from jamils mouth(not saying he knows it all). His suggestion is to put the hops in your ice storage so as to minimize temperature swings during defrost cycles. Edit, he isnt suggesting freezer burn would occur to the hops, just that a stable temp is less detrimental to AA degredation.

The long and short of it is that the difference between a veggie crisper drawer at <40 and your freezer is probably negligible for periods under a year, especially in nitrogen purged bags.

Got my citra, centennial and summit yesterday. Anyone one else get centennial...whats up with the 8%? Saw it in the picture above as well. Seems low, can't complain since that means I can use more but I've never seen it that low

Calichusetts said:
Got my citra, centennial and summit yesterday. Anyone one else get centennial...whats up with the 8%? Saw it in the picture above as well. Seems low, can't complain since that means I can use more but I've never seen it that low

8-11% is the average range. I believe the hop union stuff I had last year was pretty low too. I do have some organic Cascade that comes in at 8.1%, which is higher than the AA range for them.

image-3652485492.jpg

I noticed that too, had over 10% last year. Oh well, I'll have enough to get by, I think I have 2 pounds of Centennial still.

Back