Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabassa

Reaction score
I wanted to share a recent mishap with my fellow homebrewers. This isn't meant to be an argument against glass or for plastic it's merely a story To remind people to take an extra measure of caution when dealing with glass.

I started brewing in 1992 and Brewed pretty consistently until about 2003 when I moved out of town to a much smaller place. With the lack of space and time I pretty much stopped brewing at that point.

A few weeks ago I decided I need to start brewing again so I rebuilt my system and brewed my first batch in almost 10 years. Yesterday was time to rack my first batch. I unpacked my 5 gallon carboys and began washing them in the sink. While giving it a final rinse with Sanitizer it slipped from my hands and smashed. A large fragment sliced open my arm. While compressing my wound I had the wherewithal to make it out of the house and to neighbors house where she called 911.

The glass fragment caused two lacerations in my arm, one severing a tendon and cutting into the muscle. A handful of stitches were required to reattach the muscle and 12 stitches to seal up the external lacerations.

The first thing I did when I got home last night was to go online and order plastic replacements for all my glass.

Although I still feel that glass is better for fermentation, after last night's incident I don't feel comfortable using it anymore.

On a brighter note my beer was unaffected although racking it in the next week or so will present a challenge.

So if you're going to stick with glass please please be careful.

Rich

Good to hear you are doing ok Rich.
Things like that happen so fast instinct kicks in and once it's over you are usually left scratching your head wondering how it happened and how you had the presence of mind to make it through clear headed.

I stopped using glass several years ago because of stories like yours. Now I use Stainless or Plastic.

Nightshade said:
Good to hear you are doing ok Rich.
Things like that happen so fast instinct kicks in and once it's over you are usually left scratching your head wondering how it happened and how you had the presence of mind to make it through clear headed.

Thanks Nightshade.

It could have been much worse.
Also i'm a stay at home dad and my kids were here... 3 kids under the age of four. Luckily two were napping and the oldest was watching tv. My biggest worry was passing out before I could get help...

Rich

Sacdan said:
I stopped using glass several years ago because of stories like yours. Now I use Stainless or Plastic.

Ah Stainless steel would be awesome but I don't think my wife would allow me to spend that much... ;)

Rich

Ah Stainless steel would be awesome but I don't think my wife would allow me to spend that much... ;)

Rich

Glad to hear your ok, I have a number of close calls. And have thought about converting to Stainless and plastic. I am sure the cost of getting stitched up was more than a stainless fermenter.

Glad you're ok, it could have been much worse. I would just leave the batches in primary until ready for bottling. I would also see if you can locate some used, decommissioned sanke kegs (legit) and start fermenting in those. There are ways to extract fro. Those that don't require any lifting (a good thing while you heal. PM me if you're interested in how I've been doing it and will be changing that in the very near future.

Golddiggie said:
Glad you're ok, it could have been much worse. I would just leave the batches in primary until ready for bottling. I would also see if you can locate some used, decommissioned sanke kegs (legit) and start fermenting in those. There are ways to extract fro. Those that don't require any lifting (a good thing while you heal. PM me if you're interested in how I've been doing it and will be changing that in the very near future.

Hey Golddiggie,

Yeah I would love to hear how you are fermenting in the kegs.

Rich

I am glad to hear you are ok...Man That is scary.

I have been brewing for several years..and had several close calls. I kept telling myself. I have to develop something that will be much safer for us home brewers. Please take a look at our site. I have developed a good alternative to using glass carboys. http://www.dwbrewproducts.com

I am glad to hear, you retired the glass carboys...

DeepWoodBrew said:
I am glad to hear you are ok...Man That is scary.

I have been brewing for several years..and had several close calls. I kept telling myself. I have to develop something that will be much safer for us home brewers. Please take a look at our site. I have developed a good alternative to using glass carboys. http://www.dwbrewproducts.com

I am glad to hear, you retired the glass carboys...

That's the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Is this new? I've never heard of it.
Got ant testimonials?

Rich

Wow, a scary story!
I'm always careful when dealing with one of my two glass carboys. Since they are only 5's, I only use them for apfelwein and they are always in a brew hauler or milk crate. You can't be too safe.

Rich sorry to hear about your accident, sounds scary and hope you have a fast recovery.

I've read a couple of threads on racking to corny kegs for secondary. Sounds like an economical alternative to glass. Used kegs can be found for ~$35-40, near the price of a 5 gallon glass carboy.

Pros:
When racking to a keg, you can purge the head space, decreasing chance oxidation.
Gas can be used to push the beer from keg to keg or to a bottling bucket.
If you trim the dip tip tube you can decrease the transfer yeast sediment.

Cons:
If you're not already set up for kegging, CO2 and regulators can be a little expensive.

That's the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Is this new? I've never heard of it.
Got ant testimonials?

Rich

Yes, I have been working with a manufacture for quite some time..to develop my line of Stainless Steel Carboy Style fermenters. That we call the "Cavern". I wanted to design something that was easy to carry, easy to clean, and most off all shatter proof..WE have just opened our business so we do not have any testimonials yet..However, we here at Deep Wood Brew Products have been using them for quite some time..and find them to be a home brewers dream come true.

Rich, glad to see you are OK.
This and many stories like it are why I switched to BB's. With me it would have been a matter of when and if it would happen to me. The plastic bottles are so much lighter too. Easier in and out of the fermentation chest.

funkadelicturkey said:
Rich sorry to hear about your accident, sounds scary and hope you have a fast recovery.

I've read a couple of threads on racking to corny kegs for secondary. Sounds like an economical alternative to glass. Used kegs can be found for ~$35-40, near the price of a 5 gallon glass carboy.

Pros:
When racking to a keg, you can purge the head space, decreasing chance oxidation.
Gas can be used to push the beer from keg to keg or to a bottling bucket.
If you trim the dip tip tube you can decrease the transfer yeast sediment.

Cons:
If you're not already set up for kegging, CO2 and regulators can be a little expensive.

Thanks funk,

So how do you attach an airlock or blowoff tube?
Rich

DeepWoodBrew said:
Yes, I have been working with a manufacture for quite some time..to develop my line of Stainless Steel Carboy Style fermenters. That we call the "Cavern". I wanted to design something that was easy to carry, easy to clean, and most off all shatter proof..WE have just opened our business so we do not have any testimonials yet..However, we here at Deep Wood Brew Products have been using them for quite some time..and find them to be a home brewers dream come true.

I've already order my 5 gal better bottles but will need new primary vessels. Still a bit pricey but very tempting and much cheaper that other similar solutions.

Rich

aubiecat said:
Rich, glad to see you are OK.
This and many stories like it are why I switched to BB's. With me it would have been a matter of when and if it would happen to me. The plastic bottles are so much lighter too. Easier in and out of the fermentation chest.

Thanks aubiecat,

Any clue how many batches a BB will last? Before getting too funkified?
Rich

Thanks funk,

Rich

You can either modify the lid, get a modified lid, or pull one of the posts and dip tubes and use some 1/2" ID tubing there.

Shoot me a PM if you want to know about how I use sanke kegs, and how I will be doing it (differently) shortly.

I've had my better bottle for about 2 years, and couldn't be happier with it. It's the 6 gallon with the racking port, and has at least 40 batches on it, with no staining or smells of any kind. The only downside is that having less headspace compared to my 6.5 gallon carboy means i have to use a blowoff tube, but i've gotten used to that. Easy to clean, lift, and use in general. I'll never go back.....but those stainless carboys are pretty cool....

Any clue how many batches a BB will last? Before getting too funkified?
Rich

I've got 6 better bottles. Been using them for 3 years. I think they will last a LONG time. Just get a big bucket of oxyclean, a scoop per dirty BB, lat it sit 2 or 3 days, and they will clean right up.

I broke a glass one and traded the other 2 for cornie kegs. So glad they are gone.

Thanks funk,

Rich

For use as a secondary you should not new a blowoff. I wouldn't recommend a blowoff on any secondary as temperature changes may cause whatever liquid your tube is going into to be sucked back into your fermenter.

You have a few options if you want to use airlock.
1. no airlock, you can just vent with the pressure relief valve
2. airlock built onto the gas in post
Not mine but pretty cool ...http://www.aleiens.com/profiles/blogs/building-an-airlock-to-ferment

I end up lifting my glass carboys up and down stairs...sometimes full. This certainly gives me something to think about, thanks for starting the thread.

Edit: glad you're alright, what a bummer.

bobbrewedit said:
I end up lifting my glass carboys up and down stairs...sometimes full. This certainly gives me something to think about, thanks for starting the thread.

Edit: glad you're alright, what a bummer.

Thanks bob.
I was very lucky. It shattered in the sink. Had it not been relatively contained, it could have done a lot more damage.
Rich

DeepWoodBrew said:

I'm really digging these fermenters. Do you have any more pics or videos of them being handled?
Rich

Exact same thing happened to me. Check out morebeers plastic carboys. I just got one and they are way more sturdy that the bb I have. I do recommend it

For use as a secondary you should not new a blowoff. I wouldn't recommend a blowoff on any secondary as temperature changes may cause whatever liquid your tube is going into to be sucked back into your fermenter.

You have a few options if you want to use airlock.
1. no airlock, you can just vent with the pressure relief valve
2. airlock built onto the gas in post
Not mine but pretty cool ...http://www.aleiens.com/profiles/blogs/building-an-airlock-to-ferment

While it may be 'cool' it's also over-complicated. IME, all you need is a short section of 1/2" ID tubing. Either vinyl or silicone will work equally well (most of us have silicone tubing already on hand). simply pull either post (and poppet) from the keg (IMO, use the liquid side so that the dip tube is clean inside for later) and slip the tubing over the post base fitting. Push the airlock into the upper part of the tube and you're pretty much there. IF you want, you can 'secure' it with a pair of zip-ties. Total cost, including tubing, and zip ties (assuming you have the airlock) is maybe 50 cents (2" section of silicone tubing is ~$0.33 at $2/foot) a few cents more if you use a 3" section. The one in the link above is at least $1-$2 (worm clamps are not cheap).

Also, with using the post fitting, you don't have to worry about clogging up the QD with gunk (blow-off).

edecambra said:
Exact same thing happened to me. Check out morebeers plastic carboys. I just got one and they are way more sturdy that the bb I have. I do recommend it

Any permanent damage?
I'm off to see a hand surgeon this morning to asses...
Rich

Back