Like old VeeDubs? Like homebrewing? Here you go.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez, if you're going to blatantly break the law, it's pretty ballsy to post on the internet in full detail. . .or is there some rule about campers that doesn't apply?

Either way, it's pretty awesome!

As a former camper owner, I am kicking myself for not keeping my campers. In CT you are allowed open containers of alcohol for passengers. The next camper will have this setup, a little more discretely in the rear clothing locker...Maybe the shower can be the tap ;) And of course this will be used only for camping.

As a former camper owner, I am kicking myself for not keeping my campers. In CT you are allowed open containers of alcohol for passengers. The next camper will have this setup, a little more discretely in the rear clothing locker...Maybe the shower can be the tap ;) And of course this will be used only for camping.

When did they change the law? I lived in CT from 68-83 and I am pretty sure it was illegal then???

When did they change the law? I lived in CT from 68-83 and I am pretty sure it was illegal then???

CT Law

/* snip */
Six states, including Connecticut, do not have an open container law, but prohibit the consumption of alcohol in certain circumstances. One state, Mississippi, has neither an open container law nor an alcohol consumption prohibition. Nice!

To comply with the federal program, an open container law must meet certain requirements. Among other things, the law must apply to all vehicle occupants. But, the law may provide an exception for open containers of alcoholic beverages possessed by passengers “in the passenger area of a motor vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation” (e.g., buses, taxicabs, and limousines). Of the 40 federally-compliant jurisdictions, four do not include such an exemption for paying passengers. The other 36 include the exemption as phrased in the federal statute, or some variation of it. Thus, for example, passengers in a registered, permitted limousine operated by a properly licensed driver and in accordance with applicable laws may possess open containers and consume alcoholic beverages in the passenger area of the limousine.

No jurisdiction exempts open containers possessed by passengers in a privately owned vehicle (i.e., one that is not designed, maintained, and used primarily for transporting paying passengers) driven by a person passengers hired for the specific purpose of driving them so they can possess open containers and consume alcoholic beverages in the vehicle.

However, two states (North Dakota and Washington) exempt open containers in the passenger area of a privately owned motor vehicle operated by a person in the course of his or her usual employment and transporting passengers at the employer's direction. Love that one too!

Back