Zythos blend as a bittering hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temptnmonkey

Reaction score
I wanted to make an APA and was curious what people were thinking about the Zythos blend.

On hand, I have 4 oz of the Zythos blend, 1 oz of Simcoe, and 1 oz of Sorachi Ace. I'm probably only going to do a 3 gallon batch, so I'll have enough hops to cover it, but I certainly don't want to use Simcoe or Sorachi to bitter. Anyone have any comments on their experience using Zythos as a bittering hop?

temptnmonkey said:
I wanted to make an APA and was curious what people were thinking about the Zythos blend.

On hand, I have 4 oz of the Zythos blend, 1 oz of Simcoe, and 1 oz of Sorachi Ace. I'm probably only going to do a 3 gallon batch, so I'll have enough hops to cover it, but I certainly don't want to use Simcoe or Sorachi to bitter. Anyone have any comments on their experience using Zythos as a bittering hop?

I've only used as a late flavor/aroma addition and have been very happy with it.

I think you're going the wrong way. Sorachi Ace and Simcoe are both dual purpose hops. Zythos is a blend specifically designed for flavor and aroma.

While I don't see why you couldn't use it, I still wouldn't, as it seems like a waste to me of what supposed to be an excellent aroma/flavor hop. If it were my beer, I'd get something cheap like Warrior and bitter with it.... But then again, it's your beer. :D

Given what he has available, I say go for it. Simcoe and Sorachi Ace are harder to come by.

Back