Stainless Kettle too good to be true.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, thanks for the info. Waresdirect does have some great prices on pots. My current BK is a 20 gallon aluminum, 6mm that I bought with lid and shipping for about 100 bucks.

MoreBeer, MegaPot and BrewSteel use Update International pots.
BrewSteel price does not use weldless. We use a combination of tig welded and swaged/soldered.

Man, waresdirect is a super deal then. Looks like my system is getting a slight overhaul. Now all I need is a pump. I'm sick of lifting all that water on brewday.

So, how important is it to have a ball valve when doing 5 gallon batches? Too many choices!
There's a 42qt stainless polarware economy kettle for $87.95 with free shipping. If I need the valve, I'm better off going with spike's deal as I could get a 10 gal with a ball valve to my house for $115.

For me, a ball valve was never necessary for 5 gallons. It all depends if you're confortable (or able) lifting all that liquid and dumping it into your fermenter. It depends on your setup and how you have things plumbed. If you're just going with a straight BK, no FB, then dumping, or siphoning should be all you need to do.

I do anywhere from 10 to 17 gallon batches, so a ball valve is nice to have. I could of course siphon, but that's a PITA.

You also have to take into consideration what you're getting for your money. For me, the waresdirect pot seems like a well built kettle for our purposes. That's not to say that spikes is not, but a thicker, sandwich bottom kettle for around the same price just seems to make more sense FOR ME. The welded ports on Spikes are definitely a nice touch though, and It's something I'm giving up by having weldless fittings, but for me, weldless is fine, so the WD kettle makes more sense for me.

I have a cheapie Proctor-Silex 30 qt. SS pot that can't be more than 1 mm thick, and it's quite serviceable. And it's no thicker on the bottom (which has acquired some dings in 4 years), and doesn't scorch anything with boils over my Bayou Classic SP-10.

So, how important is it to have a ball valve when doing 5 gallon batches? Too many choices!
There's a 42qt stainless polarware economy kettle for $87.95 with free shipping. If I need the valve, I'm better off going with spike's deal as I could get a 10 gal with a ball valve to my house for $115.

For that little of a price difference go with Spike and the ball valve you won't regret it.

So much easier to work with transferring and with a ball valve you could always use it as a bottling bucket!

I second having a ball valve. I've been trying to reduce trub going in to my fermenter, and if you just let it sit for a half hour after chilling and don't drain it to the bottom that 3 inches of mud in your fermenter is more like 1. I don't know how many times I've thought "wow, I pulled 6.5 gallons out of that recipe, what great efficiency! Oh wait, its only 4.5. Meh."

I bought my current BK from them, an update international 80 qt aluminum pot and had no problem. Arrived promptly in perfect shape. The website you linked has them listed as a computer hardware and software site. A little odd there.

I bought my current BK from them, an update international 80 qt aluminum pot and had no problem. Arrived promptly in perfect shape. The website you linked has them listed as a computer hardware and software site. A little odd there.

Based on your testimonial alone, I think I'll take the chance.
Did you add any fittings to yours?

Based on your testimonial alone, I think I'll take the chance.
Did you add any fittings to yours?

Same kettle is avail from brewsteel with welded/soldered fittings customized however you want. That is where i will buy next time.

kincade said:
Same kettle is avail from brewsteel with welded/soldered fittings customized however you want. That is where i will buy next time.

Yes, for a hundred bucks more.

I added a ball valve to it. I'm gong to wrap it and turn it into an electric HLT. Its a great kettle, built lke a rhino. The only thing I don't like about is its shape. I did a 8 gallon batch in it and my IC had half the coils submerged. It still works great for the bigger batches. But I want a lttle more versatility from my BK

So you had no problems with Wares Direct? I'm thinking about ordering one based on this thread

I had no problems at all. I ordered the 80 qt update international aluminum pot and a lid seperately, and it came within a week. No problems whatsoever. I'd order from them again in a heartbeat.

The only reason I haven't ordered it yet is because of the shape of the pot. It's 18 in diameter x 14 in height. If that were reversed, I'd have bought it already. I just don't want to have problems with having my IC half submerged in wort. I may still buy it, but I'm trying to find something better suited for my IC. The bayou classic pots are tall and narrow, but they got pretty harsh reviews. I"m still on the hunt, but decision should be made soon, since I"m just looking at the same sites over and over now.

***For Clarification***

I've had a few people email me regarding the problem we had with kettles being smaller than 15 gallons... This problem has been corrected and the new kettles are actually a little larger than 15 gallons.

I don't want to start a new thread, but I thought I'd post some about the kettle I got in the mail today:

I found few user pictures of their kettles from spike so I am posting some of my own for future brewers who don't know which way to go.

I got the 15gal with horizontal fittings and one of the temperature probes:
e0n49.jpg

blxBb.jpg

The kettle itself is very well built. I had some frustrations while deciding where to purchase from, figuring out which thickness of metal would suffice. I do not see any issues with this kettle bending under pressure or falling apart. The metal seems durable and won't have issues with a 10 gallon batch at all.

The handles are riveted on, as is the lid.
6IAWZ.jpg

6esVM.jpg

lwXqB.jpg

I was a bit disappointed at first glance with the welds. They didn't seem as clean as what was pictured on the site:
I do realize that as long as the weld is made properly this isn't going to cause any problems, just a nit picking item.
CIMG2608_large.jpg

Mine:
CWkJk.jpg

CwPci.jpg

Also, the kettle is bent in slightly around both of the weld spots. I'm not sure if this is required to make the weld properly or not. It's not a major deformation but you can tell looking from the outside.

The inside looked fine, and from what I've read it's quite difficult to get the inside looking perfect anyway
VkHsi.jpg

p03eq.jpg

I'm sure with some teflon tape this won't matter because I won't need to screw it in all the way, but screwing the probe in all the way results in the dial being upside down.
NcFbt.jpg

Next is the customer service. Shortly after ordering the kettle I realized I had forgotten the temperature probe. I emailed ben asking if I could wire him some money through paypal so he could include the order in my kettle purchase so I wouldn't have to pay shipping (order over $75 get free FedEx shipping).
He responded within a few hours showing me how to place the order so I wouldn't be charged shipping, very prompt and to the point. A+ there

In summary, if I have to purchase another kettle again and don't know how to weld at that time, I will be returning to spike for mine. Quick shipping along with prompt customer service and a great quality product at a competitive price. The few small issues are quite insignificant to the rest of the product. I would recommend spike brewing to anyone who wants to invest in an affordable kettle.

Thanks for the write up, great job!

You even pointed out a few areas we're working on improving the product. The Engineer in me likes to focus on functionality first and cosmetic second. We're working on getting them equal without increasing the cost!

:mug:

Those welds don't look too bad. The welder was running a little hot maybe, GMAW or whatever it was. That would make sense because it's not usually as cosmetic as some other techniques but very effective for plate and thin walled stuff. That's probably why the side warped a little bit, but I doubt it will ever effect the performance. A couple people in my homebrew club have these kettles and they have been happy with them.

I like what I'm seeing on these pots. Does anyone have any basis for comparison with the Bayou pots that are roughly in the same price range ? I know the Bayou's are 20 Gauge and at 1 mm these seem to be in the same ballpark (19 perhaps).

Anyone any comparison ?

Not trying to hijack but since the thread got brought back up I want to update with some more recent pics. All couplers are sanitary welded on according to an AWS Standard for sanitary welding :mug:

Inside Weld
IMG_1966_zpsf0a51733.jpg

Outside Weld
OutsideWeld_zps8892c3e5.jpg

how did you find this on wares site, I went there looks like a cool site, but not very easy to nav. didnt see any brewing links, even searched 'beer' all I got was muggs

I found the pots, but dont see any with welded threads, did I read this wrong, or did you have to weld your own? They have a killer deal on 60 quart(15gal.) pots

Are you on our site or another site? I'm really confused

Im confused too! LOL I thought this thread said that a 15 gallon poy was purchases for around 100.00 I also thought that it has a welded fitting for a ball valve! I also thought it was from Wares Direct.

Ill check your site out too! 15 gallon is the way to go,

Are you on our site or another site? I'm really confused

ok I see our kettle, it's a nice looking kettle, I unfortunatly cant spend 200.00 right now, your kettle is worth the money, thats actually a deal considering what fabricators charge, I have a 6.5 galon that barely works for 5 gallon batches. Ill use that untill I start 10 plus.

I am in the process of upgrading to a new kettle now. I got the update international pot and going to get tri clover fittings welded to it. Update international because of the thicker bottom. 1.2 side walls and induction ready (always a plus).
I have a brew kettle with a single layer bottom. I do not like it because its always become discolored at the bottom. Have to take bar keepers friend to remove the brown stains. this pot will become my hot water tank till I buy another update international pot.

Got to love AMZN :)

ok I see our kettle, it's a nice looking kettle, I unfortunatly cant spend 200.00 right now, your kettle is worth the money, thats actually a deal considering what fabricators charge, I have a 6.5 galon that barely works for 5 gallon batches. Ill use that untill I start 10 plus.

What do you mean fabricator?

Crito said:
What do you mean fabricator?

Your local fabricator/welder. If you brought him a pot or a keg, he may charge as much as $100-$150 to install a coupler in the pot. I know the welder we use sometimes through my machine shop goes by the name of $100/hr Ralph.

Ummm 30 is the normal rate for one weld plus drill. Find another welder. If a welder says stuff like TIG and argon gas, will be good. Show the welder of pics of welds and he or she will say yes or no on their abilities.

Back