How not to do gas / electricity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodenbuick

Reaction score
I have seen talk about Gas and Electricity on his forum. Imagine the surprise when the inspector saw this during her most recent home inspection.

06-home-inspection-12.jpg

It's a common device used to convert natural gas to electricity or the reverse. Most often you will see these in use where one or the other is unavailable.

Catt22 said:
It's a common device used to convert natural gas to electricity or the reverse. Most often you will see these in use where one or the other is unavailable.

I LOL'd.

weirdboy said:
I thought the only devices that can convert natural gas to electricity were turbines and fuel cells.

Turbines? I guess you mean an actuator? That uses natural gas to produce kinetic energy, which is converted to electrical energy.

This particular device should actually be dual-function, producing lots of kinetic energy AND thermal energy.

And here is another thing not to do with electricity.

Yes! What where they thinking? Even the most electrically challenged usually have sense enough to hook up the ground wires. That makes no sense at all.

Yes! What where they thinking? Even the most electrically challenged usually have sense enough to hook up the ground wires. That makes no sense at all.

My sister's basement had some interesting wiring. The light down there were screwed into drop ceiling panels. The wires that had wire nuts were stripped too far so about 1/4" to 1/2" of copper was exposed with no wire box. The wires in the gang boxes for plugs were duct taped together.
I wish I had taken some pictures.

People doing electrical work when they have no idea what is going on is scary.

You should head on over to the Electric Brewing forum here on HBT then. It'll scare the **** out of you.

I have spent considerable time on there scheming to build my electric setup. Luckily I was taught electrical stuff when I was younger, and I have an electrical guy here in the office I can bounce questions off of.

In my garage, the ground wires were snipped once they came into the gang boxes. They also used the wrong gauge wire. That was fun ripping down OSB walls to redo the wiring.

Have I started drinking already? But I'm still at work...

Have I started drinking already? But I'm still at work...

No, you read me correctly. The main problem with these setups is that the efficiency is horrible at very close to zero. They can also be very hazardous if not assembled and hooked up properly. It's best to have a professional take a look at any DIY installations before using them. The proper permits and inspections are also a must.:D

Back