IPA... what does the time mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
When talking about IPA's.. what does the time have to do with anything? Like a 90 minute IPA...?? I've just heard and seen this alot, and didnt know.. Thanks

Dogfish has three "timed" IPAs: 60, 90 and 120. They do a continious add of hops during the boil and the time is the length of the boil. 60 is a regular IPA, 90 is around 8% and 120 is almost a barleywine.

well, that makes sense...

you would think i would have been able to figure that out on my own.. but thanks for the info...

is dogfishhead the only one to do that? I think thats who i saw...

There are other beers brewed for more than 60 minutes, but DFH's "gimmick" is to continously add a little bit of hops over that entire period. You can mimic this with homebrew to an extent by doing small additions every five minutes or so in the last half hour of the boil (Walker-san's IPA, which I love, does that).

FWIW, I love the DFH 60, I've heard great things about the 90, but from most accounts the 120 is a vile beverage. I can speak to their "continiously hopped" Golden Shower (an "imperial pilsner" than I think may also be boilded for 90 or 120 minutes) that it is absolutely horrid, unless you like bad-fruitcake-flavored cough syrup.

the 120 was fantastic. although half a bottle got me blitzed.

I like the 60 better than the 90, but the 120 better than the 60 or 90..

Back