Smokler All Grain Brew Stand Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millsteg

Reaction score
My buddy and I started extract brewing about 6 months ago and we're bored with the simplicity of it, so we decided to start building our all grain stand one piece at a time. I'll be uploading pictures as we get this thing going.

Disclaimer: It probably won't be as cool as most of the stands that a lot of you guys have but hey, its ours and we think its pretty cool.

My purpose of this thread is to show how we're progressing as hobby brewers, but mostly to get tips and suggestions from you more experienced people on this site. If you see something we're doing wrong, let me know so I can make changes. Otherwise, enjoy!

Oh btw, this will probably take a long time since we're both fresh out of college and low on funds. So we're building this one piece at a time while money permits.

My parents got me this igloo cooler for Christmas for our mash tun:

photo6.jpg

Added the valves, false bottom and thermo-well. Thermometer in the thermowell only reads less then 1 degree off from a thermometer directly in the water.

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

Now the start of the stand build. I had a friend weld it up for me. Took him about 3 hours.

photo3.jpg

All welded up and ready to be painted.
photo2.jpg

Primed
photo1.jpg

Painted but drying
photo-1.jpg

Our idea with the stand is that the upper two stands are for the first boil pot and mash tun and the lower stand is for the wort boil pot. We are running a pump from 1 to 2 and gravity feeding from 2 to 3. we will be building a higher stand for the mash tun to give it some room away from the heat source for the first boil pot and so we can gravity feed everything into the wort pot without having to move it. It will also be setup to take a burner on number 2 if we decide to go that route in the future.

So, single pump (HLT to MLT) and gravity from MLT into BK and BK into FV?

I've thought of doing it this way if I don't go 3-tier. I don't mind pumping water, but I want to avoid pumping wort. One less thing to sanitize and pay attention to.

Damn u broke ass college grads have a better stand then I do

Haha believe it or not, the total cost for the shell of this stand is only $175 and that includes a $50 bottle of 12 year old redbreast for my buddy who welded it.

Ok, so its definitely taking me longer then expected to get this thing done but after today I am just about there. Here's some new pictures of it.

photom.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Fired it up for the first time today. Had some issues with the regulator but got it figured out. Boils 12 gallons of water in rougly 30-40 minutes. Can't wait to actually brew on it!!

let me know what you guys think

1.jpg

11.jpg

111.jpg

The video was taken sideways but it should look right on youtube, if its still sideways I'll take another video for you guys.

http://youtu.be/Hh0S-Ro_XXY

Back