Im still learning about all grain brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmusedBystander

Reaction score
I use Brewers Best kits and do full boils (5g). I was thinking the next batch i do, when I steep the specialty grains, I might add a lb of 2-row with it. I guess to kinda get my feet in the water and to make a stronger beer. Now, obviously this is way too much water for one lb of malt; my question is...
With so much water per pound, is this just a waste of time? will it ruin my beer? or will it just add a weak dose of fermentable sugar and nothing more?

Thanks?

2-row is used as a base malt and at 1# really not going to notice anything. Why not check out the Partial Mash/and recipes. Ease yourself into AG with BiaB.........my.02

2-row won't add much flavor and chances are it won't achieve full conversion in that thin of a mash. thicken it up (1-2 qts/lb grain) and you'll be fine

Just for the record. If you steep grains for an hour, doing a mash (single infusion) is no different. With the exception of course being that you have to more closely monitor your temperature and you need to observe a proper grist ratio (water to grains).

I would look at BIAB (brew in a bag) and go for it. I did 3 batches BIAB and was then on to full all grain with some extra equip. I have never looked back. I still have 2 cans of LME sitting on a shelf that I haven't touched. Guess that will be starter food.

Back