Cyber Monday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
I got a e-mail from morebeer.com on black friday deals.
Any place online that runs a cyber monday hot deals?

Or just wishfull thinking?

Where's the best place to get turkey fryers on clearance right about now? :)

I've been keeping an eye on my local Craigslist for a Turkey Fryer now that T-day is over. I may have just found one today. Waiting to hear back.

What seem to be the most popular sets from bayou classic? Also is the 30qt. (7.5 gallon) big enough to do a full 5-gallon boil?

Just barely. 8gal is the bare minimum id ever recommend. 10gal is nice.

Among the enthusiasts, the Kick a Banjo is the most popular. Among the common folk, most people seem to have the turkey fryer sets. There's a few, but they are mostly the same.

What seem to be the most popular sets from bayou classic? Also is the 30qt. (7.5 gallon) big enough to do a full 5-gallon boil?

That is what I use, although I fill my pot to the very top and use fermcap-s to keep it from boiling over. If you don't have or use fermcap, I wouldn't recommend trying a full 5 gallon boil in that pot.

That one from lowes seems like you'd be stuck using that pot as the burner comes up and stabalizes it.

If a 35qt Aluminum pot is what you wanted it does seem a better option than the bayou but I'd be curious if a different Stainless Steal pot would fit on there, since the pot itself appears skinner at the base and flanges out.

IMO, do NOT get <10 gal kettle for 5 gal batches. I have an 8 gal kettle and regret not getting the 10 gal everytime I brew. I almost always have to reserve wort for later, even if boilover was not a concern. I'm surprised some of the HBS even sell/recommend them for 5 gal brews...terrible advice imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to restate that people should be checking craigslist if they don't mind meeting creepy people at their home.

I ended up getting one last night for FREE. The pot was ruined, but I wasn't going to use it anyway since I was planning on just using my SS one I already own instead of the Aluminum one it came with.

I just wanted to restate that people should be checking craigslist if they don't mind meeting creepy people at their home.

I ended up getting one last night for FREE. The pot was ruined, but I wasn't going to use it anyway since I was planning on just using my SS one I already own instead of the Aluminum one it came with.

I always pick a "halfway" point to meet. The mall is usually a good spot.

I met a guy at his house once cause I was looking at a camper. Camper turned out to be **** and I immediately regretted having to bring my son and almost just kept driving once I saw the place. Now it's google maps and street view!

I always pick a "halfway" point to meet. The mall is usually a good spot.

Just a quick story about this, sorry to hijack the thread for a moment.

I contacted a guy about buying some old Cigar Boxes (I was going to use them to store tabletop game pieces, can you tell where the geek came from in my name?) that I found on Craigslist and offered to meet the guy at the Mall, since I figured it'd be a nice public setting.

He let me know that he actually works there and would be happy to meet him there after work (9pm). Just give him a call when I got there.

I got there at 9 on the dot and gave him a call, he said he was around back on the bottom floor of the parking garage. I figured that was kinda weird because there is plenty of parking in the front usually and people hardly use the back lot, but I figured maybe employees had to use that one to save room for customers.

I drove around and called him again since I couldn't see him, he said to keep going and around the corner there is a bunch of dumpsters, he'd meet me there. I have no idea why I went, but I drove around thinking that I could just keep driving if he looked threating.

The guy ended up jumping out from behind the dumpsters and motioned me to come closer. He looked pretty old and figured I could take him if needed so I jumped out and ran over. He ended up leading me into this weird back door and we walked down this long dark hallway deep into the mall.

He apparently worked security and took me into this cool room full of monitors where we could see the whole mall. I used to work security in college so it was kinda interesting to me.

Anyway, nothing sketchy happened and overall it was a pretty cool experience but I remember telling SWMBO later and she got super annoyed that I would keep going along with his crazy directions.

So that's my Craigslist story, but as you see above, I still use the site and actually went to the guys house yesterday.

It probably helps that I'm still relatively young and can afford to be dumb.

Back