Yes...another starter question!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchmidtyBeer

Reaction score
So I have done my searching and of course I have found many subjects similar to my matter but am unable to get a for sure answer.

Anywho, I made a starter Thursday night (10/23) with approx 470ml of water and 1/2 cup dry malt extract and White Labs Pacific ale yeast. Since then I have had airlock activity and could see little bubbles going to town, but no krauzen. It appears that the majority of the yeast have began to settle to the bottom, so I was planning on brewing today. I just was not sure if I should still wait until that krauzen forms or I am good to go?

This picture was taken this morning. Since then I have placed the starter into the fridge to let the yeast settle out.

Starter.jpg

Thanks guys!:mug:

You won't always get a nice krauesen with starters so no, don't wait for one. As long as the starter showed other signs of fermentation and you gave them ample time then be confident the yeast have done what they were supposed to and pitch away!

Pitch that sucker! The starters I've done have had no krausen and very little activity, yet shortly after pitching I've had vigorous fermentation. Your good to go.

You could also decant some of the starter beer and take a hydro reading, but I wouldn't worry.

Back