First year for hops, ready to harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allynlyon

Reaction score
Can anyone tell if these are ready to harvest by the picture. I'm new to hop growing and i'm still trying to get a feel for things.

photo (19).jpg

photo (19) copy.jpg

I'd say it's too early for those. I would wait at least until the petal tips curl outwards kind of like a dried pine cone...

Cheers!

Can anyone tell if these are ready to harvest by the picture. I'm new to hop growing and i'm still trying to get a feel for things.

Great first post! Interested in the same information. That being said from what i know they should also start to feel
"papery". I have not picked any of mine yet but soon.

I'd say it's too early for those. I would wait at least until the petal tips curl outwards kind of like a dried pine cone...

Cheers!

Thanks! There is so much conflicting information out there that I wasn't sure what I was doing by the time I finished reading. :)

I am no expert by any means, being my first year growing as well... But besides feeling papery like tissue paper, they should "spring" back to shape when you squeeze them and not stay compressed at all.

That's what I found when googling, also look through youtube for some hop harvesting videos, I found that helpful.

I am no expert by any means, being my first year growing as well... But besides feeling papery like tissue paper, they should "spring" back to shape when you squeeze them and not stay compressed at all.

That's what I found when googling, also look through youtube for some hop harvesting videos, I found that helpful.

I had seen that information as well. It's just tough to tell by feel. My zeus has felt "papery" since early on. While my cascade has not. I'm know the different kinds can have different looks and feels so i'm just trying to decide whats what. Thanks for the tips though. I'll try youtube.

I had seen that information as well. It's just tough to tell by feel. My zeus has felt "papery" since early on. While my cascade has not. I'm know the different kinds can have different looks and feels so i'm just trying to decide whats what. Thanks for the tips though. I'll try youtube.

Not all varieties will be the same, for example my Newports were curled out and spikey from the day they flowered. Where as my Columbus and Cascade were tight cones.

The tell tale sign is browning, once they are more or less done the tips of the flower will start browning and you may see some slight brown dots on the hops.

At that point pick em.

Latest posts

Back